Parts interchange between Keihin carbs?

More
02 Oct 2009 04:42 #324992 by Marcus
I have a '76 KZ400-D3 with a carb issue. I believe the low speed circuit on the right carb is clogged. Cylinder is dead at low speed, but comes alive over 3500 rpm or so. I've been through the carbs a couple times, but they're in pretty rough shape.

My question is, since it's hard to find carbs for my exact model, can I get a set of similar carbs and swap parts? Are the carb bodies the same? Can I bolt my slide pistons (which are in good shape) onto a carb that originally came with a diaphragm? Naturally, I'd swap over the air bleeds and jets also.

Not sure where to go next. I've already got $200 in ebay carbs for this KZ, and they're pretty hard to find, never mind in good shape.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2009 06:36 - 02 Oct 2009 06:38 #325009 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Parts interchange between Keihin carbs?
Those carbs are pretty complex.

Make sure you have all of the air jets in the right place. They can end up in the wrong holes If I recall. The main air jet has a smaller hole than the pilot air jet. The main air jet goes between the pilot air jet and the screw that holds the plate.

Also, the pilot jets and slow jets are stacked, so you have to really be sure you've cleaned them all. Make sure the rubber plug held in by the main-jet clip does not not leak, and the oring on the main jet. Those are common problems.

Some jet parts will swap over from early 70's Honda CB/CL 350's.

If you haven't already, check out this site:
www.armbell.com/kz400/index.php?sid=c35c...fcc2365&mforum=kz400
Last edit: 02 Oct 2009 06:38 by loudhvx.

More
07 Oct 2009 13:16 #326034 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Parts interchange between Keihin carbs?
It's been a while since I was in there, but as I recall, I could not get one of the jets/air bleeds out, and stripped the slot out of the brass. I'm guessing that passage is clogged up good, and I've got no way to clean it out. I'll keep watching ebay for another set of KZ400-D3 keihin CVB36 carbs.