Fuel issue or?

More
24 Sep 2009 20:34 #323771 by barquirt
Fuel issue or? was created by barquirt
I have a 1977 KZ650B1.

It has pod filters, stock exhaust, 105 mains, 15 pilots, air screws roughly 1 1/2 turns out.

I have redone the motor from the base gasket up. All new gaskets/seals, heads off and cleaned in a machine, reset valve clearance to spec, set points and timing, etc. It's all fresh and good. The bike runs/drives GREAT except for a strange issue. Twice in the last 100 miles when I pull up to a stoplight and shut the throttle/pull in the clutch the bike shuts off. I still have lights but it's like I hit the kill switch (which I didn't). I can kick/crank the bike right back on and then it behaves fine, goes right back to the stanard idle speed. But twice it has just dropped to zero rpms and rolled to a stop.

Plugs look great, every mechanical check i can run is OK. Charging systems/outputs all OK.

All i can come up with is maybe my gas cap isn't venting enough when the motor is hot? Or my tank bag is smothering the cap (I carry a lot of stuff)? My local mechanics seem to think i have a fuel starvation issue due to a poor gas cap vent. They say if it was electrical I'd lose my lights and it would be a hard restart. I'm not sure but i'll start here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2009 21:06 #323775 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Fuel issue or?
I think it might be ignition related. Can you duplicate this behaviour at home after the engine is warmed up?

Get a fan and direct a good blast of air at the idleing engine, if it quits, pull the tank and check the coils.

A bad capacitor(condenser) can act like this too. You might think about upgrading the ignition system to a Dyna "S" from www.z1enterprises.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Sep 2009 21:15 #323777 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Fuel issue or?
Easy way to rule out the vent is run with cap relased and see if you can get it to stall.

1979 KZ-750 Twin