Starts with difficulty and wont stay running

More
12 Sep 2009 11:39 #321056 by chadeastin
I am brand new to bikes, but not general mechanicing. There is a lot different about bikes though. I have a kz750ne spectre with keihin carbs. Well it will start with the choke on, but with a lot of cranking. It back fires and pops and generally feels like it is out of time. It revs up like nothing else when you put that choke on, but after a while it works its way down in RPM and dies. I have to pump the throttle to even keep it going for just a bit. 1,2,and4 plugs are black and 3 plug is white. When I got the bike it had been sitting for a long time so I got new plugs and briefly cleaned the carbs. It ran, but had some trouble sticking at high rpm's as well as rough spots at certain rpm's. I decided to take the carbs back off and clean them more thoroughly. While I had them off I decided to go ahead and put pods on. After cleaning the carbs extremely, to include taking out all jets and needles, I put it all back together and now it runs like crap. really it doesnt run. should i go back to stock breather? It seems as though it is getting too much fuel, but would that be enough to keep it from running? Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2009 12:24 #321070 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
welcome to you you came to the right spot. the symptoms your describing are related to what sounds to me like completly plugged pilot circuits in your carbs use a can of good quality areosol carb cleaner and compressed air to blow all the passages completely out after you spray them with the carb cleaner remove the carb tops so you don't get any carb cleaner on the diaprahms also remove all the jets and any rubber o-rings under the fuel screws make sure your getting air flow thru all the ports and passages if any are still plugged after this take some copper wire or tip cleaners and work them thru the circuits.when you put the carbs back to gether check over the slide diaphrams over and make sure there are no holes in them. also when you get them back in place work them up and downto make sure they all move evenly. also by putting pods on them you have increased the air getting to them so they will be lean so i would look at installing a dynojet carb kit in them to compensate for this. what exhaust does the bike have. hope this helps

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
12 Sep 2009 12:24 #321071 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
PODS ARE BAD MODS. There are alot of Pod Haters and there are alot of pod heads.Punny Huh. If you didn't rejet it for pods then its not going to help your problem. I am a stocky Jocky. It was made that way by people who spent lots of time and trials to get it to run good stock. Best left alone or buy a Harley. Someone who has had the same problem will be with you shorty.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
12 Sep 2009 12:29 #321073 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
if you know how to set the bike up pods are fine all my bikes but two use pod's or no air cleaners at all (i have three drag bikes no air cleaners on those) my 73 is still original and for now my kz 1000 j until i figure out what i'm going to do with it.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
12 Sep 2009 12:29 #321074 by wes_scooter
Replied by wes_scooter on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
well first with pods you should have to increase your jetting. it sounds like the carbs are still dirty. are you getting good spark to the plugs?

when you had the carbs off the second time did you soake them in carb solvent and blow out all the small holes. mainly the ones for the slow speed circuit. if it runs with choke but not without its almost always the pilot jets being pluged, at least it has been for me.

76' kz900
70' yamaha R5
2006 wr450f

More
12 Sep 2009 16:25 #321131 by keith1
mzandmz wrote:

PODS ARE BAD MODS. There are alot of Pod Haters and there are alot of pod heads.Punny Huh. If you didn't rejet it for pods then its not going to help your problem. I am a stocky Jocky. It was made that way by people who spent lots of time and trials to get it to run good stock. Best left alone or buy a Harley. Someone who has had the same problem will be with you shorty.

pods are not bad mods....how many drag bikes have ya seen with stock air boxes?....pods are just one part of the equation in making a bike faster.....

More
12 Sep 2009 16:45 - 12 Sep 2009 16:47 #321136 by Buda
mzandmz wrote:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=320150
Pods are almost as bad as running old air in your tires.

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 16:47 by Buda.

More
12 Sep 2009 17:11 #321141 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
Are you guys truly stating that PODS are crap? :blink:

Please, you must be joking....

What next, Velocity stacks are crap as well compared to OEM filters.... :blink: :S

Sure you'll have to re-jet, wonder why, oh that's right, increased air flow.... :S

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
12 Sep 2009 18:06 #321158 by chadeastin
Replied by chadeastin on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
Ok, Ok, I didnt mean to start an argument about pods..... just wondering. The answer for me is to go back to stock, because I cant afford the 140$ jetting kits out there. What I have discovered by doing some more reading here is that I need to get a rebuild kit just in case my float needle is bad. However it seems to me that my bike would actually run if it were just a matter of flooding????? Some help here. could it be flooding sooooo much that it wont even run?

More
13 Sep 2009 03:48 #321252 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
mzandmz wrote:

just plain wtf??? forget the meds today?

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
13 Sep 2009 06:45 #321276 by Patton
chadeastin wrote:

Ok, Ok, I didnt mean to start an argument about pods..... just wondering. The answer for me is to go back to stock, because I cant afford the 140$ jetting kits out there. What I have discovered by doing some more reading here is that I need to get a rebuild kit just in case my float needle is bad. However it seems to me that my bike would actually run if it were just a matter of flooding????? Some help here. could it be flooding sooooo much that it wont even run?

Based on the initial report, imo "flooding" likely isn't an issue. Chances are the existing float valves and floats remain perfectly serviceable, as is often the case. And a "rebuild kit" may not be needed. Perhaps no new parts will be required.

Would concur with timebomb's advice about the carb primary circuits not yet being thoroughly clean.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Sep 2009 10:56 #321339 by chadeastin
Replied by chadeastin on topic Starts with difficulty and wont stay running
Thank you, I did go ahead and order a rebuild kit, some of my gaskets are in bad shape. So I put on the stock breather and now it starts right up! However now when it starts and you rev it, it sticks at high rpms, around 3500. The cable moves freely and I have lubed up the advance cam. It moves freely. The idle adjustment screw is set so just the first idle port shows. the pilot screw (the one on top of the carb) is turned out 2 full turns from seated. It responds well going down the road but backfires when I throttle down. the #2 cylinder gets hot, but not quite as hot as the rest. All the plugs but #2 are white, while #2 is wet when pulled.