Thread the Needle?

• jmckinne
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 KZ 1000, 76 GL 1000, 75 CB 550, 73 CB 750
More
08 Sep 2009 19:26 #320030 by jmckinne
Thread the Needle? was created by jmckinne
When I rejetted my carbs (VM26SS) I had them off the bike. When I put the jet needles in they were at a slight angle on the spring and I held them straight to thread them into the jets. All easy to do with the carbs off the bike, but now I'd like to richen my clip settings and I'd love to do it with the carbs on the bike...

I don't see any trouble getting the needles out with the carbs on the bike, but wondeirng if they can be put back without driving myself nuts.

I don't enjoy reconnecting the airbox etc so not taking them off would be super...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jmckinne
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 KZ 1000, 76 GL 1000, 75 CB 550, 73 CB 750
More
09 Sep 2009 21:20 #320337 by jmckinne
Replied by jmckinne on topic Thread the Needle?
Ok, I'll answer my own question if anyone else was wondering about this: Yes, it is possible. :)

The problem is that the spring loaded jet needles don't point straight down so when you put the slides back in unless you can guide the tip of the jet needle it won't go thru the jet and your slide won't seat. With the carbs off it's easy to reach in the intake side and guide them. On the bike it's a canoodler.

Here is how I solved it.

I took the tops off the carbs (take off the gas tank first of course), disconnected the throttle butterfly and the slide arms from each carb. Everything you would do if the carbs were off the bike basically.

Pull out a slide and set the needle clip position (or whatever you're trying to do) then try a couple things. If you fuss with the needle you might get it to hang straight down enough to just slide it back in. Good luck with that! One of my four carbs that worked for. Here's the trick for the other ones:

Hook 'em thru the airbox. With the flame traps removed form my airbox I had a path thru the boots to the jet needle area in the carbs. I made a hook from heavy solder (I also used thin piano wire) and inserted it thru the carb to airbox boot. Look down into the carb body and you will see the jet at the bottom. Position your hook around (but above) the jet opening. Drop the slide in slowly until you feel the needle bottom out. Back off a bit and the needle should be inside the hook in your wire. Use gentle movements of the wire to straighten out the needle and slide her home. It does not take much pressure, don't bend your needle. :angry:

Remember I used solder or thin piano wire, that's so you can disengage it from the needle when you're done more easily. Basicly push forward so the hook clears the needle, twist 90 degrees to one side or the other and then extract. It might take a couple tries to disengage peacefully. If it doesn't the reason you used soft material is so you can tug gently on the hook and it will bend until it is not a hook anymore and slide right out. I never had to do that in practice.

Once I got it down it only took about 30 seconds a carb B)

Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.