Carburettors overflowing like crazy, what to do?!?

More
07 Sep 2009 20:16 #319791 by FrankySwarm
I guess i should start this off by introducing myself, this is my first time on any sort of motorcycle forum, mostly because this is my first bike:). Not really having much prior knowledge to motorcycle repair and maintenance, instead of buying a brand new bike i went out and got myself a NOT RUNNING 1977 Kz400 for $350 dollars. The way I looked at it was I don't really deserve to ride the thing if I don't know how it works. I am a sculptor and woodworker at my college so I am not illiterate when it comes to tools and mechanics but this has been a pretty big learning experience so far. I have many people close to me helping me along the way on getting this thing running but I am hoping to do most of it myself. After checking the compression which seemed good and also replacing the battery I am now getting spark as well. When i bought the bike the previous owner told me I would definitely need to clean the carbs and after trying to run it off a water bottle and getting nothing, i concluded it has to be the carbs. I took them off and cleaned em carefully after watching many tutorials and reassembled them. But after hooking them back up i hit a wall. As soon as I put gas in the carbs started overflowing out of all four hoses as well as what seemed to be the float bowl. They looked good when I put them back together and the only issue I could think of was maybe the jets are stuck or the gaskets on the float bowl are not in right, as I had alot of trouble getting them back in. My neighbor knows a dude that could re-jet them and fix em for about $100 dollars but I would love to try and tackle them myself first. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be great. Also thanks for taking the time out to read this:)

..here are a few pictures I took just pointing out where Im getting leaks, thanks again guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2009 20:18 #319792 by FrankySwarm
Replied by FrankySwarm on topic Carburettors overflowing like crazy, what to do?!?
Heres one
Attachments:

More
07 Sep 2009 20:20 - 07 Sep 2009 20:25 #319793 by FrankySwarm
Replied by FrankySwarm on topic Carburettors overflowing like crazy, what to do?!?
Another
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Sep 2009 20:25 by FrankySwarm. Reason: picture not working

More
07 Sep 2009 20:28 #319794 by FrankySwarm
and the float bowls

More
07 Sep 2009 20:29 #319795 by FrankySwarm
other pictures are not working, they are just of the float bowl and the other two overflow hoses:(

More
07 Sep 2009 21:09 #319800 by sarge383
sounds like your needle and seats are dirty causing the bowls to over flow. pull the bowls and clean the needles and seats. also check to make sure the rest of teh carbs are clean as well

kz 650d2 sr 79

More
08 Sep 2009 05:27 #319834 by chance
I second that ..What does your tank look like inside any rust? If so You can bet without a filter your float valves sre full of rust.

More
08 Sep 2009 06:54 #319842 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Carburettors overflowing like crazy, what to do?!?
Do you have the floats in upside down? I have done that. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Sep 2009 07:25 #319847 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Carburettors overflowing like crazy, what to do?!?
yeah yeah....it sure sounds like the guys are thinking float vale/needles too....carbs are a stinker the first few times but get pretty smooth to do...especially after you get a nice idleing and clean pulling bike...you'll get it....sounds like your doing stuff in order...fun bike too....welcome and and keep up the pics....craigroy-b-boy-b wrote:

Do you have the floats in upside down? I.....
have done that. Roy

p.s we have this fairley young bittish man out here in california(carmel by the see) and the kid is sclupting his ass off....crazy studio right in the art district where he has his little budddies and bull dog all helping with different project....folks can walk in and watch him take a piece through charcoal,clay render,wax figure and then the giant bronze is sitting there getting finished....he.is making money too...go figure an artist making money while they are still breathing.......keep it up..art is the shit.......

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
08 Sep 2009 07:27 - 08 Sep 2009 07:30 #319848 by timebomb33
with a bike that has been sitting for any lentgh of time like yours had you will usally find the float valves assembly's get pitted and grooved you would be better off getting ahold of z1 enterprises and ordering two complete carb kits in it you will get all the hard parts and gaskets that are needed to rebuild your carb's. by the way even if you gaskets werent quite doing the job your fuel levels should actually be below the gasket surface if the carb's have overflowed that much you will probably have gotten some in the bottom end of your motor once you have the carb's rebuilt properly then replace your oil as well as it will most likly be contaminated as well.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 08 Sep 2009 07:30 by timebomb33.

More
08 Sep 2009 21:29 #320067 by austin3119
Seafoam and a screwdriver handle is your friend.B)

More
08 Sep 2009 23:15 #320079 by FrankySwarm
Folks honestly I am taken aback on how helpful you have all been in such a short amount of time, not that i expected any less lol, i just got my paycheck and ordered the carb rebuild kit, Ive got a full week ahead of me but hopefully this weekend ill be able to get back to the bike. I will keep you all updated and thanks again i really appreciate all the support:)