Carb Bowls Running Over

More
01 Sep 2009 16:25 #318304 by TJMD
Carb Bowls Running Over was created by TJMD
I rebuilt CV34s with carb kits and put them on.The bike hadn't been run for a couple of months,so I hit PRIME.A few seconds later all 4 bowls are running fuel out of the overflow tube at the bottom of the carb bowl.:( I did put float valves in.So I pulled the bowl off of #1 carb(the one next to the CHOKE Lever,and tried the same thing.When I pushed up on the float to make the float valve work-the gas flow stopped(but only in that bowl).The only other thing I noticed was-when I pulled the bowl off,there was NO gas in it at all.I figured if the bowl was at least filling up and if the valve wasn't working THEN it would run out,but it seems like the fuel is just going right out of the drain.I didn't take the other bowls off yet.Does anybody know what this problem is?I didn't adjust the floats or anyhing.I bought these carbs and cleaned them and rebuilt them.:dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2009 16:37 #318313 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
it sure sounds to me like the needles are not seating properly pull carbs off and make sure the the seats are installed properly and not cocked or something like that.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
01 Sep 2009 16:43 #318316 by TJMD
Replied by TJMD on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
I'll prolly do that,but I looked in the kawa manual and made sure I hung them right and everything,but---maybe too much carb cleaner like they say.:blink: Here's a question though Bomb:wouldn't the bowls fill up first,and then overflow?It seems like the gas is just running right out!I do have the drain plugs in too!:laugh:

More
01 Sep 2009 16:48 #318319 by TJMD
Replied by TJMD on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
Also-on these(CV34s),I never messed with the float valve seats,because they look like they are pressed in(other than to clean them up and blow them out with a compressor).Maybe I will try to check them and make sure they are flat in thte carb body,and maybe tap on them with a wood dowel or something.THANX for the input!:cheer:

More
01 Sep 2009 17:00 #318324 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
my mikuni 34's are have a small hold down tab that is supposed to keep the seats in place the seat also has an o-ring around it to keep it centered and sealed if that is worn out it can cause problems also if the tab isn't tightened evenly it can cause the seat to cock. causing a bad seal at the seat. it sounds like you know what your doing but i have to ask it are you sure you are using the right fuel fittings on the carb because if even if the needles and seat are screwed up it still should have fuel in the bowls in fact to much.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
01 Sep 2009 19:23 #318398 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
Yep the carb seats on the CV34s are pressed in and dont come out without destroying the the carb. The only thing you can do is clean the seat with a Q tip dipped in carb cleaner or with something like Brasso.

Just thinking about the empty bowls and wondering if you did anything to bugger up the drain screw - there is an O ring in there

or

That long brass tube coming up from the base of the carb bowl could be cracked. Happened on mine. Only way to check this is with the bowl off the carb. Try filling the bowl with water and watch what happens.

Good luck :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
01 Sep 2009 19:35 #318405 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
JR Wrote: "Try filling the bowl with water and watch what happens."

This is a great idea! If the bowl was empty when you removed it (assuming you didn't drain it first) the fuel is leaking out well below the overflow level, so it should be unrelated to the float level. The water test should pinpoint the problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Sep 2009 05:01 #318509 by ohioKZnut
Replied by ohioKZnut on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
I just had this problem,only my #1,then my #3 started doing it.I did evrything from tapping to flushing,nothing seemed to work.I got so frustrated then it dawned on me,i turned down the idle from the idle knob,and no more gas pouring out of hoses.Maybe this will help,i have very little knowledge on this bike so far,but it worked for me,you might want to try it.

78 KZ 650

More
02 Sep 2009 05:48 #318519 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Carb Bowls Running Over
Those are bs34s The same ones I have with the holder on em. I just cleaned mine they have a screen on top of the seat. Checked em before I installed them and they all flooded out the intakes..Man but I didn't set the floats you think I'd get lucky .But Nooooooo...