Pods and Carb Holders

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Aug 2009 19:01 #316188 by JR
Pods and Carb Holders was created by JR
If you have pods like I do you might wantt to check the carb holders from time to time for cracks. Ten days ago I noticed that each carb holder had a large crack running from about 9 o clock to 3 o clock - see pic. I did'nt have a problem and thankfully I spotted this before it became a problem. They were on the bike when I bought it 7 years ago so I'm not complaining. Just another thing to keep an eye on .....if you have pods.

I had replacement from Z1 Enterprises in a few days. :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2009 19:34 #316202 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Pods and Carb Holders
Good point. Figure with pods since there is no support at the rear of the carbs, everytime you hit a bump the carbs pull down hard on the carb holders (unless you have wired up some support at the rear of the carbs). I would guess this would shorten the life of the holders. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Aug 2009 19:37 #316203 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Pods and Carb Holders
Yea, that's a big problem. Some guys claim it's not, but how can a 15 lb hunk of aluminum with no support at the rear possibly not be stressful on the holders. I read how to do the cheap routt and use zip ties to tie the carbs up for support, but zip ties only last a couple months. Make up some kind of bracket to hold the carbs is a good idea.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Aug 2009 20:21 - 24 Aug 2009 20:21 #316218 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Pods and Carb Holders
I had pods on my bike 20 years ago and I ran some mechanic's wire from carbs up to frame. The wire is really hard to see and provided all the support you need and lasts forever. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 24 Aug 2009 20:21 by Bluemeanie.

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Sep 2009 20:52 #321914 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Pods and Carb Holders
I'm going to try this 10 inch heavy rubber bunger and perhaps the new carb holders will last 10 years instead of 7. Ten years may actually be longer than I will last.

As a bonus the rubber servces a secondary purpose in that it replaces the rubber dampener which is long long gone from under the gas tank. I had an dirty rag in its place :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments: