Mikuni carbs on my KZ750??

More
18 Aug 2009 11:59 #314832 by chrispysaki
Mikuni carbs on my KZ750?? was created by chrispysaki
I've heard that Mikuni carbs are better than the Keihins that my bike came with, so I'm wondering if it's possible to put them on my bike, and if so, whether there would be any benefit. I have a 1980 KZ750E1 - almost all stock except 4-1 exhaust.

Also, I just purchased the bike and as far as I know, it was not rejetted when the exhaust was installed. Is this something I need to do? I'm considering adding some pods over the winter, and I'll definitely rejet then, but I don't want to cause any damage while I'm riding this summer.

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2009 14:21 #314851 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Mikuni carbs on my KZ750??
chrispysaki wrote:

I've heard that Mikuni carbs are better than the Keihins that my bike came with, so I'm wondering if it's possible to put them on my bike, and if so, whether there would be any benefit. I have a 1980 KZ750E1 - almost all stock except 4-1 exhaust.

Also, I just purchased the bike and as far as I know, it was not rejetted when the exhaust was installed. Is this something I need to do? I'm considering adding some pods over the winter, and I'll definitely rejet then, but I don't want to cause any damage while I'm riding this summer.

Thanks,
Chris

Since it's 99% stock, I wouldn't bother with the expense of changing over to Mikuni. Besides, both companies made (make) excellent carbs, so no real reason to change over. Go up a couple of sizes on your mains and raise the needles one groove and you should be good.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
18 Aug 2009 17:58 #314905 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Mikuni carbs on my KZ750??
I actually like the Keihin CV34s on mine. Later models of the 750/4 had Mikuni BS34s. Never having had the Mikunis I cant say if I'm missing anything though :)

Regarding the 4->1 exhaust if its running good then dont worry. If not or if you want to experiment up your secondary main from 125 (stock) to 130 and leave the primary alone. I dont think you can do anything with the needle. Mine which is the same year as your is not adjustable. No slots.

If you go to pods and want to sell the airbox give me a shout as I'm thinking of trying a stock airbox :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
18 Aug 2009 21:16 #314956 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Mikuni carbs on my KZ750??
JR wrote:

I dont think you can do anything with the needle. Mine which is the same year as your is not adjustable. No slots.

Ah, CVs. I keep thinking flat slides lol.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada