Stuck Throttle, Has Anyone Experienced This Before

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
12 Aug 2009 22:28 #313538 by saxjonz
So I am out riding with my group of friends coming back from Lake Geneva and I kind of got on it a bit so the revs were up and when I shifted I noticed my bike had a mind of its own. That is kind of a really scary feeling. Immediately I thought broken throttle cable. I hit the kill switch, thank God for those, and yelled to my friends to stop.
I pulled off to the side of the road and got to looking. Saw a slack in the cable and thought for sure that is what the problem is. Not a chance. So upon taking the tank off and pods. We thought it might have been a dropped jet. It started to backfire a bit. I was really concerned. Then upon closer inspection the throttle assembly had a little tar covered pebble jammed in between.
What are the odds of something like that happening? I have been riding twenty-two years and I include riding with my father at least thirty-five and you know not once has this ever happened before or to anyone I have ever known.
Those road gremlins are out to get me I tell you.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2009 03:00 - 13 Aug 2009 03:01 #313550 by KZ250LTD
Haven't experienced that but a friend of mine had an interesting ride on his old Suzy 250 dirtbike a little while ago. He'd asked me to look at the carb because it wouldn't idle so I got it running and warned him that the throttle was sticking. Came back from that ride a few shades paler! Guess that's why you don't use bicycle cables for your throttle cable :S

Oh and Sax, sounds like you could use a Gremlin Bell :silly:

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2009 03:01 by KZ250LTD.

More
13 Aug 2009 05:05 #313557 by anarki650
I had the throttle stick open on me on my GSXR1100 once, happened as I goosed the throttle to maneuver to be first in line at a red light, by the time I realized the throttle wasn't returning it was too late to hit the cut off and not end up in the intersection (of cross traffic) so I rode it through 4 lanes of cross traffic (thankfully light traffic that day) and then shut her down. Came out of that intersection at over 120, white as a sheet, and my cheeks puckered threatening to let loose last nights hot wings! That's the last time I ever neglected my cables!!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
13 Aug 2009 20:27 #313792 by saxjonz
Now that can be scary! Lol once when I first started riding I wanted to do a break torque and when I grabbed the front brake and gave her hell the wheel popped straight up and into oncoming traffic she went. Then there was the time a week after my first ride when I shifted from third to fourth full throttle and did let up on the throttle. Popped the wheel straight up at 85. No sooner did I get that wheel down I came up on the car in front and inches from the bumper managed to slow it down. That was a white knuckle moment for sure. Lol

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200