Pilot Screw Settings

More
12 Aug 2009 09:20 #313372 by mkeating
Pilot Screw Settings was created by mkeating
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to confirm this, but I was wondering about the pilot screw adjustments for my 1981 440 ltd. From my understanding, factory installation says it should be turned out about 1 3/8 +/- 1/4 turn? Does this sound right to everyone. I know when I took my carb apart it was set out way further than that, and I have always had a real hard time starting the thing. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks again!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2009 18:04 #314197 by tygoebel
Replied by tygoebel on topic Pilot Screw Settings
Bump

Thought I'd give this a bump cause I'd like to know the answer too!

More
15 Aug 2009 18:22 #314217 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Pilot Screw Settings
From my understanding thats around where it should be for inital set up. Then adjusted with carb sync procedure as well. It should be air mixture for idle. Fine tuned for optimal idling mixture.But if you had different internal parts of different size then stock or Different air filters then stock like pods or vilosity stacks then those air mixture screws would be adjusted accordingly to the changes.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
15 Aug 2009 18:23 #314218 by mzandmz
I could be wrong but thats how I understand it. Others reading will correct my mistakes.

More
15 Aug 2009 18:26 #314220 by mzandmz
Or did you mean Pilot screws.I thought you ment Air mixture screw, the ones on the outside of the carb near the top above the float bowl.

More
16 Aug 2009 09:54 #314315 by tygoebel
Replied by tygoebel on topic Pilot Screw Settings
mzandma - thanks for answering
On the stock carbs there is only one adjustment screw. I am pretty sure it is called a pilot adjust screw. It is on top of the carbs next to the mixing chamber top. According to the repair manual the setting for European bikes is 2 3/4 turns, but it never mentions how many for American bikes.

I have mine set at 2 turns. It also states in the manual that the opening for the pilot screw for American bikes should have a plug in it after adjustment. How important is that plug?

Any information would be appricated

More
16 Aug 2009 10:05 #314317 by mzandmz
I found out there were different carbs used on stock bikes. Mine are the ones with air screws up top the bowls.Then there are the carbs with a adjustment screw near the top on the side of the bowl that I think has a cap. Mine has a hole there buts plugged off from factory. I did some looking around at parts sites online to fine my model. I think I found one on here too. Someone had posted a picture?

More
16 Aug 2009 10:19 #314318 by mzandmz
found one. go to categories up top click on it,then click caborator, page 6 down to the third listing under Simple fuel screw question. RonKZ650 gives good answers, but read all the way down. may help.

More
19 Aug 2009 10:44 #315070 by mkeating
Replied by mkeating on topic Pilot Screw Settings
Thanks to everyone for the replies and also for the reference to the other post. I almost gave up on this post, because I hadn't gotten any initial replies for a few days!! On my carb, the pilot screw is located on the top of the carb, next to the diaphragm, and has a metal plug. My bike was obviously running too lean, because it took forever to start, and when it would, it would shoot white smoke and have problems idling. When I turned in the pilot screws, they went in almost 3.5 turns. Wayyyyyy too much. I am not sure why or how they got out that far, but I digress. 2 turns seems to be a nice number that I am getting across the board. I am going to try that out, and tinker from there. I will let everyone know how it goes once I get her back together. Still waiting for some parts. Cheers