Smokes like crazy with CHOCKE ON

• Topic Author
  • User
  • 1973 kawasaki z1
More
11 Aug 2009 22:31 #313305 by 00.
Hi; I have a 1973 z1, and I have just fully rebuilt the carburetor new gaskets, jets, ultrosonic cleaning, its like a brand new carb. The bike runs perfect but the bike smokes like crazy when I have the choke on especialy when its cold, and its not an oil smoke its too much fuel smoke. Why would my bike burn way too much fuel only on the choke position. When the choke is off the bike does not smoke at all. Every morning I flood the whole neighborhood with fuel smooke, can any one tell me what could be causing this problem. Thanks

1973 kawasaki z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2009 05:31 #313324 by ndeli55
Replied by ndeli55 on topic Smokes like crazy with CHOCKE ON
choking the bike adds extra fuel to the system, of course you will have black smoke...

1978 kz650B stock
1973 rd250 (in 1000 pieces)

More
12 Aug 2009 06:06 - 12 Aug 2009 06:11 #313332 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Smokes like crazy with CHOCKE ON
I don't have one of these bikes so, just wondering...

-1) What is your exhaust configuration... 4 to 1, 4 to 2 or 4 to 4?
-2) Which exhaust is the smoke coming from?
-3) What is the voltage drop between the (+) Battery terminal and the Coil(s) input (Multi-meter`s Red lead on the Battery terminal and Black lead on the Coil input)?

Best of success. :)
Bill

PS
Please add your year, model and location to your signature to get the best responses... and it`s considered real friendly too.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 12 Aug 2009 06:11 by bill_wilcox100.

• Topic Author
  • User
  • 1973 kawasaki z1
More
12 Aug 2009 11:26 #313390 by 00.
Replied by 00. on topic Smokes like crazy with CHOCKE ON
I know the bike should smoke a bit, but this bike smokes way more than normal but only on choke. I mean I creat a cloud of smoke tha you can't see the person 10 feet away from you, its realy bad. I don't know if that is normal for a z1 but I had a gt750 which is a two stroke and that made way less smoke on start up.

But to answer some of the questions, the bike is 100% stock, original exhaust, original jetting set to the book specifications on the period correct 28mm carb. And the smoke is comming from all 4 pipes evenly. I will check the voltage drop, but not sure how that would effect the smoke. but please let me know. Thanks, I did change my signiture too.

1973 kawasaki z1

More
12 Aug 2009 11:46 - 12 Aug 2009 11:52 #313396 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Smokes like crazy with CHOCKE ON
IMHO, base on your observation that all cylinders are affected you can reasonably conclude that it's something common.

-1) Your carbs could have all their fixed jet choke/enricher circuit set too rich... I just don't think so at this point.
-2) Your Coils (both) could be just a bit to vintage and just not pushing out the spark like they used to... could be.
-3) Your voltage at the Coil(s) is just too low after all the drops through equally vintage connectors and switches causing much lower spark to the combustion chamber, incomplete fuel burn-off and raw gas being expelled from the exhaust/mufflers... could very well be.

The solution used by many members is the WG Coil Repowering Mod.

This is the WGCRM link.

Link

This is how I did it on my '77 B1.

Link .

Fortunately, this is a very inexpensive solution at about $10 USD in parts and material but a bit more in time and patience. Hope this helps.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 12 Aug 2009 11:52 by bill_wilcox100.

More
12 Aug 2009 14:43 #313422 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Smokes like crazy with CHOCKE ON
Its because you have a CHOCKE and we have a choke.. Sorry couldnt resist

More
12 Aug 2009 16:18 #313445 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Smokes like crazy with CHOCKE ON
I've cut this board 3 times and it's still too short! I'm sorry too but it is irresistible.

I'd check the carbs to make sure you didn't drop a jet other than that unless its blowing smoke rings with the choke off I wouldn't get too worried. Coil mod wouldn't hurt and may be the fix. Go for it.
I have a older Gold Wing that when she has been on the side stand for a while and I start it all the smoke detectors this side of the Mississippi wail. Valve guides. But it does get a lot of looks and people running for extinguishers at times. GLuck

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"