1st Project- z650 f2. Carb help needed please

More
11 Aug 2009 03:15 #313079 by Aumriff
Hi all. I have a 1981 Z650 f2 (european model) that I bought from a scrap yard. I have stripped and re-built the engine. The cam/valve timing is correct. I have replaced the ignition for a contactless, optical pick-up and cdi from Newtronic. New(ish) coils and plugs. The carbs are stock with air screws on the carb body and air jets inside. Vacuum from fuel tap is ok, bowls filling with fuel when tap is on prime. Plugs spark and engine runs for a short time if I spray 'easy start' spray into the air intake. Once the vapour has burnt off the engine cuts out. I was expecting the initial start up using 'easy start' to give the carbs time to draw fuel up and spray into the engine to keep it running.

Is there anything I can do to check/increase fuel/air flow allowing my bike to start normally? The air screws are turned out 1.5 turns from lightly sealed. Is this enough or too much? The engine side of the carb valves have a small notch in the middle of the bottom edge. Do i set the carbs so the valve is at the bottom with just the notch visible or do I need to raise them 1mm from the bottom position so there is a 1mm gap and the gap created by the notch (making a 2mm gap in the center of the valve infront of the needle and a 1mm gap across the rest of the valve bottom)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KZ650 F2 (1981 UK/Euro model)
K+N Pods, Marshall 4-1 exhaust

Living in the UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2009 15:18 #313192 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 1st Project- z650 f2. Carb help needed please
Welcome.

Sounds like you have been vary thorough in your adjustments and set up.

I'm not familiar with the Ignition system your using, but is it possable it's out 180 degrees? Thus firing the spark plugs, but at the wrong time?
Easy to check and fix by just swapping the coil wires. Try it.

Whats the compression like?

650 specific info can be found in the link in my signature.

Oh, and post up a picture of your 650. Don't get to see too many F2s around here.
B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
11 Aug 2009 16:41 #313207 by Skyman
Have you checked/adjusted your fuel service level in the carb bowls?

Have you disassembled the carb bodies and made sure all jets and passageways are clean & clear?

West Linn, OR

More
12 Aug 2009 11:41 #313395 by Aumriff
Replied by Aumriff on topic 1st Project- z650 f2. Carb help needed please
Hi all. Thanks for the tips on getting my 650 started. I had the 180 degree problem about 2 weeks ago and I had to write down the position of each piston and valve in a 4x4 grid to work out where the cams should be at every stage of the cycle because the cam sprockets don't have any timing marks on them.
Carbs have been stripped and cleaned as well as float high set correctly.

The problem is sorted now, it was just the air flow that needed to be increased. I just turned out each air screw another half turn and tightened up the cylinder head bolts as there was a slight compression loss. The bike now starts first time and runs (on idle) smoothly. I have still got alot of work to do on it so Im sure I'll be back here soon for more help.

Here is a pic of the 650-F2 when I picked it up from the scrap yard.

So far I've replaced the clocks, coils, cdi and timing pick-ups, plugs, oil filter, all gaskets. I've also changed the bars for 28" straight drag bars, removed 6" from the rear sub-frame. This is for the modified swing arm. It has been lengthend by 6", and by using the standard shocks I've got the rear lowered so that the remaining part of the rear sub-frame has 1" clearence above the rear tyre.

Next job is the electrics for the lights and indicators then i'll fit an alarm and remote starter.

KZ650 F2 (1981 UK/Euro model)
K+N Pods, Marshall 4-1 exhaust

Living in the UK
Attachments:

More
14 Aug 2009 12:00 #313907 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 1st Project- z650 f2. Carb help needed please
Looks like you've got a good base to start with there.
Keep us posted on your progress, and toss up some after pictures.

I like the 5 spoke wheels. Never noticed them on a 650 before.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s