HUGE carb problem BAD STARTS

• Topic Author
  • User
  • 1973 kawasaki z1
More
05 Aug 2009 23:08 #311915 by 00.
HUGE carb problem BAD STARTS was created by 00.
Hi just got done cleaning my carburetor on my 1973 z1 by an ultrasonic cleaner, I took it compleately apart, it has new orings, gaskets, all jets were checked or rplaced. But when I start the bike;;; it has no big problems starting right away and goes into hi-rpms on chocke but it smokes like crazy, but than as it starts to get a little warm the chocke does not keep the bike at high rpms anymore and it dies with the chocke on all the way or part way, suddenly the chocke has no effect on the bike. So I restart the bike again and the chocke does nothing anymore for the bike, I have to try to hold the throttle but if I give it too much it will die and if I give it too little it will die. So I have to keep restarting or I have to hold the throttle just right so it does not die, And during this whole process the bike keeps smoking like crazy even with the chocke off. Finally after about 2-3minutes of trying to warm up the bike it finally sets into regular idle and than the bike runs like a dream and it does not smoke at all, I have had this problem for the last week everytime I start the bike from a cold start. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM. I hate that it starts up so bad and I know there got to be something wrong with the chocke. any help would be great.

1973 kawasaki z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toolman5774
  • User
  • Always up for a ride!
More
06 Aug 2009 05:50 #311953 by toolman5774
Replied by toolman5774 on topic HUGE carb problem BAD STARTS
My '75 actually has the same behavior, and always has, except the choke losing effect doesn't happen to me. I generally start it at half-full choke, and get some smoke while it warms up. After about a minute, the smoking will stop, and then it will remain at 3-4k RPM until I drop the choke completely. Not sure on why the choke would have no effect, unless maybe the idle jet or needle is like completely open or something? Then that might explain why there would be no effect with the choke. I'm no expert to carbs myself though, so I could certainly be wrong. :blink:

Doug
Second Generation Z1 Owner
1975 Z1B 900 w/ 53K miles
K&N Pods
Kerker 4-1
King/Queen LTD Seat w/ Sissy bar and luggage Rack

2009 ZG1400 (Concours non-ABS)

More
06 Aug 2009 06:08 #311958 by happyhubby
Replied by happyhubby on topic HUGE carb problem BAD STARTS
take the tops off of the carbs and raise the needles a couple threads. worked for me when i decided to run straight pipes and had the same problem. also check the high idle screw.

1980 kz550 daily driver

More
06 Aug 2009 08:45 - 06 Aug 2009 08:46 #311992 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic HUGE carb problem BAD STARTS
This out-of-control behaviour is often reported as due to poorly seated or leaky Carb Holders, Carb Holder Vacuum Caps or difficult to tighten Carb Holder Bolts.

Be prepared to:

-1) Re-seat or replace Carb Holders,
-2) Re-seat or replace Carb Holder Vacuum Caps,
-3) Tighten or replace Carb Holder Bolts with new Allen/Hex Head bolts.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2009 08:46 by bill_wilcox100.

More
06 Aug 2009 10:04 - 06 Aug 2009 10:04 #312010 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic HUGE carb problem BAD STARTS
toolman5774 wrote:

My '75 actually has the same behavior, and always has, except the choke losing effect doesn't happen to me. I generally start it at half-full choke, and get some smoke while it warms up. After about a minute, the smoking will stop, and then it will remain at 3-4k RPM until I drop the choke completely. Not sure on why the choke would have no effect, unless maybe the idle jet or needle is like completely open or something? Then that might explain why there would be no effect with the choke. I'm no expert to carbs myself though, so I could certainly be wrong. :blink:

Might be leaving the choke applied too long which could be fuel-fouling the plugs.

Temporary exhaust smoke after cold start likely results from old hard worn valve stem seals. Usually a harmless condition which could be addressed next time the engine head is removed for some other reason.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 06 Aug 2009 10:04 by Patton.

• Topic Author
  • User
  • 1973 kawasaki z1
More
06 Aug 2009 14:19 #312049 by 00.
Replied by 00. on topic HUGE carb problem BAD STARTS
So I guess that I don't have an internal carb problem. I will have to start by checking the vacume leaks, but wouldn't a vacumme leak also cause regular driving problems?? the bike runs fine when warmed up. I will also check the top carb seals but those are new, is there any other seals that could be wrong? or could I have some idle or chocke jets/passages pluged??? Let me know. thanks

1973 kawasaki z1