Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
03 Aug 2009 15:46 - 03 Aug 2009 16:05 #311271 by Forrest
Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please! was created by Forrest
I have been restoring a KZ650B1 for the past several months. I am to the point of putting fuel in the tank and running it. I have replaced the original 32 year old black fuel line with a similiar I.D blue tint Parts Unlimited stamped clear tube from my Kawi dealer. It was recommended to run an inline fuel filter. I seem to be getting leaking around the tube clamps at the fuel filter. I bought the filter and tubing from the dealer. The hose clamps are from Ace Hardware and seem fine on the carb inlet and petcock ends. It is just at the fuel filter that I get some leaking when I turn the petcock to the on postion. Also, I must admit to getting a little weeping around the petcock itself. I purchased a new oval O-ring and screws to mount the petcock to the tank. There is no leaking there. It appears to be around the petcock bowl. I am not sure if I was given an O-Ring or nylon washer to go in the bowl. The previos owner stuck some PTFE tape in the threads. I am sure that will not solve the petcock bowl weeping. It there a gasket or O-Ring that goes in there? Please help this poor imbecile. I promise not to ask for help until I get ot the rear drum brake. :lol:

-Update: I just talked to the Kawi Dealer. According to their records, I have not ordered an O-Ring/washer for the Petcock Bowl. I ordered this just now. Also, there is a screen that goes in the bowl. I will get one of those as well. Hopefully this will take care of the weeping at the Petcock itself. I may take off the inline filter entirely. Or, I may try removing the clamps at the inline filter to see if the hose clamps are crimping/puckering the fuel line. If anyone has further thoughts, please respond. Thanks.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 03 Aug 2009 16:05 by Forrest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2009 16:44 - 03 Aug 2009 16:46 #311280 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!
Forrest, IMHO a good quality inline filter is essential in capturing the fine stuff the OEM filter simply cannot trap.

These old tanks typicaly have fine rust and other debris that get to the carbs' Needle Valves, Passageways and Jet and cause many lost riding days (don't ask).

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2009 16:46 by bill_wilcox100.

More
04 Aug 2009 07:02 #311476 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!
The B1 with the manual petcock used a goofy rubber gasket on the bowl that is ruined every time the bowl is fooled with. This is no longer available through Kawasaki, so if you ordered one it isn't going to come most likely. You'll have to make your own gasket. Thin cardboard would work better than rubber.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
04 Aug 2009 10:01 #311497 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!
Thanks for the feedback Bill. That filter in your posting is the exact one the parts guy at the dealer sold me. It is installed with the previously mentioned transluscent blue tint Parts Unlimited brand tubing. What tubing do you use with your filter? My tubing is over each of the end nubs all the way to the filter housing. My metal band clamps(spring steel type- the kind you squeeze the tabs to open the diameter and release to close back down) are past the nubs and on the smaller diameter area on each end. Is there a better clamp such as a the screw adjustable type? I will do all I can to keep the filter in place. Any further suggestions are welcome.

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
04 Aug 2009 10:14 #311499 by Forrest
Thanks Ron for the info on the petcock bowl. The previous owner had teflon tape on the threads of the bowl. The parts guy at my Kawasaki dealer just confirmed the bowl gasket is avalable. I will pick up in two days and give it a try. The original black rubber hose type fuel is no longer available.

More
04 Aug 2009 12:55 - 04 Aug 2009 13:37 #311522 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!
Forrest, I use clear gas line from my automotive supplier, Canadian Tire. Frankly, I find that it hardens with time but I have not seen evidence of leaking at the clamps as you have.

I sometimes use old black rubber gas line from an old vehicle. They seem to be better suited to the task in that they stay soft, seem to last forever and don't seem to leak at the clamps. The down side is that I feel they look odd and I can't see if my gas is flowing when I need to troubleshoot.

IMHO, sounds to me as if your "blue" gas line is not as well suited to being sealed by a clamp as it should be Any chance that your gas line is one size to large or your filter tips are one size too small?

As to clap type, I've used both. Does not seem to matter really. But if I start with a Spring Clamp when the gas line is new then I tend to stay with the a Spring Clamp. Conversely, if I start with a Screw-down Clamp I stay with a Screw-down Clamp. I have not had success with using a Spring Clamps after Screw-downs but I have had success doing the opposite.

Maybe, you need an alternate make for Fuel Lines... this MotionPro Fuel Line is available from Z1 among others:

I have not tried this brand so other members will have to pipe-in on its suitability.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 13:37 by bill_wilcox100.

• Wile
  • User
  • Kawasaki is Japanese for money pit
More
08 Aug 2009 09:28 #312389 by Wile
Replied by Wile on topic Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!
I use the MotionPro Fuel Line from Z1 and have not had a problem but it does get stiff with age and yellows but no leaks. I use a 1/4 ID line with spring clamps at the petcock, carbs and in-line filters.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.

“I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle”

"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window"

More
08 Aug 2009 10:05 #312398 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!
I use the motion pro lines from jeff and i do not use clamps. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
08 Aug 2009 18:43 #312505 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fuel Line and Petcock Help- Please!
Here's what I use for clamps:

Clamps

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
17 Aug 2009 10:45 #314595 by Forrest
UPDATE: I went to the 1/4" I.D. vinyl line and everything fits tight but no leaks. I will pick up some of Ed's red clamps at Ace Hardware. My green ones are too large. So far no leaks without clamps AND the fuel filter is in place. Thanks everyone. Now, if I can just get that broken bolt out of bottom of the fork leg I will be all set. :S