stiff throttle return spring

• jklcycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Avondale, AZ
More
02 Aug 2009 09:55 #310906 by jklcycles
stiff throttle return spring was created by jklcycles
The throttle return spring on my Z1-B is too strong. Does anyone else feel this way? I can twist the throttle but it is really over-kill on the resistance. The linkage is smooth. It is just the spring force. Is there a way to heat treat the spring to weaken it a little? Or perhaps a new spring?

I have ridden my brother's '77 KZ1000 LTD and his throttle pull back is way lighter than mine. His carburetors have a different spring set-up. His spring is pulled. My spring is twisted. I am thinking that's the difference. Any ideas?

1975 Z1-B. Current project.
1977 KZ1000. Future project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toolman5774
  • User
  • Always up for a ride!
More
06 Aug 2009 11:42 #312032 by toolman5774
Replied by toolman5774 on topic stiff throttle return spring
I know this sounds obvious, but have you taken both pull and return cables and adjusted them in both directions? I had the same thing on my z1b, but it was just too much tension on the return cable at the linkage AND at the throttle grip. Can't hurt to check!

Doug
Second Generation Z1 Owner
1975 Z1B 900 w/ 53K miles
K&N Pods
Kerker 4-1
King/Queen LTD Seat w/ Sissy bar and luggage Rack

2009 ZG1400 (Concours non-ABS)

More
06 Aug 2009 12:16 - 06 Aug 2009 12:21 #312040 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic stiff throttle return spring
Had the same symptom when I first got my KZ650-B1.

I went to my automotive store and bought a similar enough spring with much less pull.

I would never go back to the original.

I even added one of these crouse-control throttle-lock accessories for highway driving... with zero tension. Much more relaxing IMHO.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 06 Aug 2009 12:21 by bill_wilcox100.

More
06 Aug 2009 14:50 #312052 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic stiff throttle return spring
Try and removing the returm cable. I just run one cable on my bikes. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
06 Aug 2009 15:55 #312063 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic stiff throttle return spring
Am thinking the spring at hand is the earlier carb spring, which is not so easily replaced at the hardware store like the later KZ900 spring.

Don't know if still available, but once upon a time there was an aftermarket accessory adjustable counterspring that fit inside the handlebar connected to the throttle grip. Its purpose was to offset the carb spring with a twisting force toward "opening" the throttle grip. I had one and remember that it worked pretty well. Haven't seen one in a long time, but doesn't mean they aren't still around.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2009 20:10 - 06 Aug 2009 20:16 #312117 by gane
Replied by gane on topic stiff throttle return spring
J, After eliminating cable/carb stiffness, you might give Sudco a call. I seem to recall an optional "lighter' return spring avail. for VM's.at @ 6-7 bucks a pop. Bear in mind, at full throttle in some cases there existed the possibility on some models for enough vaccumn to keep slides from closing w/out assist.(thus heavy return spring) do as you will, But I would retain "close" cable as insurance.(also in a press, it can be re-installed to A cable mount to get one home abett working backwards) Note, this only applies to VM carbs w/ external "free standing" springs, luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1
Last edit: 06 Aug 2009 20:16 by gane.