Please help, at ends. Idle issues continue

More
30 Jul 2009 09:52 #310371 by jayboogz
Thanks for looking; I have a 1978 KZ650 with the VM24 carbs, no jetting, no pods, and no exhaust completely stock. The bike has new oil, properly gapped spark plugs, clean filter, leak free at carb holders/intake boots. The carbs are clean and rebuilt, by first myself then by a professional. I couldn’t get the bike to idle properly without having high,low idling and issues dying, and is now doing the same for the mech. I am certain the carbs are not the problem and am ruling them out for now. What other areas can cause poor idling?
So far with my research I have turned up a couple areas that I have not perused. Petcock- my current one work as supposed to, with gas tank off and in the prime position dumps fuel, in the on and prime Pos does nothing. There is however a small leak in the petecock, but I don’t see this as big issue. I plan to upgrade to a vacuum 6000 series Pingel (6211-CH with adapter) to fix the small leak. Points ignition- I have read about frozen advances, take off the points cover and spray WD-40 or replace with Dyna S. Lastly the gas cap which has holes to allow production of vacuum from air being pulled through the system. That’s all I got, as frusterated as I am I can only laugh and makes me more motivated and hopefully more rewarded when I stop letting this old Kaw get the best of me. Any suggestions are welcomed and I apologize for the long post. I just wanted to supply those willing to help with as much needed ammo as possible, thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2009 10:28 #310374 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Please help, at ends. Idle issues continue
Sparkplugs look good? Light tan is the correct color.Gapped properly? Correct heat range? Sparkplug caps and wires in good shape? Fuel and air filter clean? Compression good?

Timing chain properly tensioned? Valve clearances been checked?

All I can think of right now......

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Jul 2009 10:52 #310377 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Please help, at ends. Idle issues continue
I'd eyeball the wires at night. If you have bad wires you will see a spark jumping to metal. And maybe spray some WD around the boots to see if the idle changes. Check your advancer. Also check all electrical connections to see if maybe a loose or corroded terminal could be culprit. Especially the coil wires. GLuck

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
30 Jul 2009 16:04 #310417 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Please help, at ends. Idle issues continue
how long has it been since last valve adjustment?