Fuel puddle in rubber caps for carb sync tubes

More
28 Jul 2009 11:27 #309869 by barquirt
What would cause this?

When the bike sits for more than a day, the little rubber caps that cover the air tubes (used for hooking up a vac gauge for carb balancing) get full of gasoline.

Model is a '77 KZ650B1. Are my needle/seats worn out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2009 11:56 #309872 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fuel puddle in rubber caps for carb sync tubes
It's normal to have a little gas there. Enough to pour out a few drops at least.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 Jul 2009 14:07 #309891 by JakeB
It's normal if the bike has been running, if the caps are getting fuel in them with the bike just sitting there not running then the float bowls are overflowing either because of improper float height or worn out needle/seat.

1978 Z1-R

More
28 Jul 2009 14:26 #309896 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fuel puddle in rubber caps for carb sync tubes
There's always the talk of gas making it's way into the engine from floats sticking. It's happened, more often on the newer CV carbs which I have no knowledge of, however unfortunately I've got a lot of experience with these slide carbs :X. Someone will have to explain this phenomena to me where I understand. You have 4 carbs. All 4 carbs have an overflow tube in the center. The overflow tube is between 5mm and 10mm lower than the throat of the intake into the head so theoretically as long as the tube/hose is not clogged or gas supply outruns runoff capability there is no way on this green earth gas can find it's way into the engine. The only other way would be a bad diaphram on the vacuum petcock. If it happened to leak gas between the inner and outer gas could possibly go down the vacuum line. This is rare. Now that's my personal opinion going by logic, but it still happens? I really don't get it. All I can say is over the years I don't know how many float sticking, bad needle/seat, even installed a needle upside down once. I've had puddles 8ft diameter under the bike, but yet to get gas in my oil to this day.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 Jul 2009 16:24 #309926 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Fuel puddle in rubber caps for carb sync tubes
same engine here its normal...you can relax now

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts