• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2009 20:13 #309315 by Motor Head
WORKING CHEAP MUTI CARB SYNC TOOL was created by Motor Head
:woohoo:
So I ran accross a posting on another forum awhile back about a cheap way to make your own carb sync tool, so it's not my Idea. I do use it though with very good results.
You will need the following:
1-Yard Stick, metal preferred.
20 foot 1/4" clear vinyl tubing.
Clear sticky tape.
Some ATF I.E red light fluid, you could use food coloring in water. But then it will freeze.
Some zip ties for hanging or attachment/ optional.

Now take the tubing and make a loop at halfway point, this is the bottom. Make it go up the yard stick, attach with the clear tape and maybe a zip tie or two. Now you will have to put 1 end of the tubing into the ATF and apply suction to the other end to get fluid into tubing. Get it so there will be about a foot on each side once it levels out. This will take hanging it overnight.
Now once ready you should have a basic fluid gauge, that you can attach to the vacuum ports on your manifolds or carb's depending on set up. The fluid will travel to the cylinder with the highest vacuum signal. You should be able to adjust it so it becomes stationary in the tubing. Equal height is not important, movement is. Of course as with all fuel issues you must have the basic's first, equal compression/ no vacuum leaks/ good ignition/ good fuel/ clean fuel system. Carb sync is the final adjustment after all is OK.
Try it out it is very responsive and ends up with a good tune, you can try it at different throttle openings. But you can only work with 2 carb's at a time. Still really good for about $6 !!!!!!!!!!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2009 20:16 #309316 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic WORKING CHEAP MUTI CARB SYNC TOOL
A similar tool is already posted in the filebase under non-model specific. I'm planning on using it soon to sync my carbs after cleaning/reassembling.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2009 20:18 #309318 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic WORKING CHEAP MUTI CARB SYNC TOOL
Sorry did a search and didn't see it. It does work quite well as long as everything is in order. This is the same for all carb sync tools.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• The Garbone
  • User
  • User is Currently waiting for his bailout check..
More
25 Jul 2009 20:26 #309320 by The Garbone
Replied by The Garbone on topic WORKING CHEAP MUTI CARB SYNC TOOL
Built one using the file on this site.. Works like a charm. I sprung a few extra bucks and put a real valve in it and use 15w fork oil for the fluid.

2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2009 20:31 #309323 by Motor Head
OK why the valve, looks like its in the bottom of the loop?

• The Garbone
  • User
More
25 Jul 2009 20:54 #309332 by The Garbone
You need to have the valve closed when you start the motor due to the fact the carbs are not yet in sync. Open it real slow and you will see the fluid pull one way or another.

If the valve is open at startup it will suck that oil into one cylinder quicker than you can close it. Don't ask how I know..:blush:

The entire process takes a bit to get used to but once you get a feel for things it is fairly easy. I have pulled my carbs a few times and I resync if I change a float height or something similar.

2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2009 21:00 #309337 by Motor Head
OK I get it, I warm up good first and if it really starts to move I shut down. Maybe I'll put that valve in since it's been sitting around looking neglected.

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
25 Jul 2009 21:49 #309343 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic WORKING CHEAP MUTI CARB SYNC TOOL
Here is another great idea! You could just use 4 bottles, 2 on each 2 carbs....

Im gonna make one tomorrow, Ill let ya know how this works.

faq.ninja250.org/index.php/Is_there_a_carb_sync_tool%3F

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

More
26 Jul 2009 06:41 - 26 Jul 2009 06:42 #309367 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic WORKING CHEAP MUTI CARB SYNC TOOL
This looks interesting. I can easily see how this works on two carbs, but I'm not sure how to get four working together. Let's suppose that one pair of bottles is hooked up to carbs 1 & 2 and the other pair to 3 & 4. We could get each pair of carbs perfectly balanced, but not balanced with the other pair. Carbs 1 & 2 might each be pulling exactly 2 inches of vacuum, while 3 & 4 are pulling exactly 20 inches each. Do we then hook one pair of bottles up to 2 & 3 to get them balaced? Will that then mess with the balance between the other carbs? I hope this works, but it looks like it might be only slightly less frustrating than trying to do it with a single vacuum gauge. Please keep us posted.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 26 Jul 2009 06:42 by TexasKZ. Reason: Lame typing skills.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
26 Jul 2009 07:28 #309374 by DoubleDub
The procedure I have read basically says, sync 1 & 2 by adjusting carb 2, move the connections to 2 & 3 and sync by adjusting carb 3, move the connections to 3 & 4 and sync by adjusting carb 4. This way the reference carb is the one you just adjusted each time.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
26 Jul 2009 07:36 #309375 by DoubleDub
Garbone, what type of valve did you use?

• The Garbone
  • User
More
26 Jul 2009 09:17 #309391 by The Garbone
A small cam/ball type found in plumbing parts rack at Ace Hardware.. I got 2 of those plastic rings and 2 metal insert and did a sorta compression fitting to attach the hose to it. The guy at Ace helped a lot.

You description on the method is right on.. My #2 carb is a bit screwed up so I synchronized everything to #1 carb and did #2 last... I think I need to replace the needle valve on #2.

2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n