Carb Tuning Help - Have Symptoms need a Cure

More
21 Jul 2009 12:46 #308445 by DoubleL3
So I have a 81 KZ550 the exhaust is pretty much a straight thru 4-2 w/o a crossover, and i now have pods because the old filter was shit.

Now to the symptoms:
- i get some pretty decent backfire while closed throttle decelerating above about 5500 rpms
- if you rapidly open the throttle to full when the motor is under 3000 rpms it will kill the motor
- power seems decent below 1/2 throttle but it really pulls at full throttle

What this leads me to think is that I might be near stoich above 3/4 throttle and running lean near idle and below 3/4 throttle.

So am I correct in my guess? Im new to carb tuning so im just looking for some things to try so that I can get some experience and hopefully get to run really nice and powerful

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2009 13:18 #308448 by Patton
DoubleL3 wrote:

So I have a 81 KZ550 the exhaust is pretty much a straight thru 4-2 w/o a crossover, and i now have pods because the old filter was shit.

Now to the symptoms:
- i get some pretty decent backfire while closed throttle decelerating above about 5500 rpms
- if you rapidly open the throttle to full when the motor is under 3000 rpms it will kill the motor

What this leads me to think is that I might be near stoich above 3/4 throttle and running lean near idle and below 3/4 throttle.

So am I correct in my guess? Im new to carb tuning so im just looking for some things to try so that I can get some experience and hopefully get to run really nice and powerful

thanks

To reduce de-acceleration popping, could try enriching pilot circuit by turning adjuster screws 1/8th turn (being clockwise for side-located pilot air screws, or counter-clockwise for bottom-located pilot mixture screws), and lowering idle rpm with thumb screw. If problem persists, may require larger pilot jets.

Mid-range performance may benefit from raising the jet needle (being one clip lower) to enrichen.

As known, carb fiddling is often futile unless preceded by assuring valve clearances and compression to specs, and healthy properly timed sparks, and correct advancer function.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jul 2009 18:52 - 21 Jul 2009 18:55 #308510 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb Tuning Help - Have Symptoms need a Cure
DoubleL3 wrote:

Now to the symptoms:

So am I correct in my guess?

I would bet on it. I would try larger pilots and/or rich the needle position.

Real good advice to make sure the advancer is tracking before you start fine tuning.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 21 Jul 2009 18:55 by bountyhunter.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
21 Jul 2009 19:39 #308539 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Carb Tuning Help - Have Symptoms need a Cure
All good suggestions...

You may need to rejet completely though.

Get the bike up to operating temperature, then do some plug chops, starting with the main.

Once you have the main figured out, chop for the needle, then set the pilot system.

Its alot of work, but the results will speak for themselves.

You can look up "plug chop" and lots of other jetting info in the filebase.

GoodLuck & Patience!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)