81 kz440 need some help

More
19 Jul 2009 20:56 #308146 by RingB21
81 kz440 need some help was created by RingB21
Ok guys so i got this thing up and running again but am having a couple problems. When u give it any gas what so ever it seems to stay up in the idle for a few seconds and then fall back off. I am not sure why it is doing this but it is really annoying. Can anyone give me any ideas. It runs alot better since the rebuild but i still need to do some tinkering and adjusting. If any one can help me out on this i would really appreciate it. Thanks

This bike is a 81 kz440 with pod filters, cut exhaust, and dual carb setup....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Jul 2009 21:02 #308148 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic 81 kz440 need some help
I would look for air leaks on the intake side. Check the carb boots for cracks. Spray carb cleaner when the engine is at an idle and the rpm will increase.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
20 Jul 2009 10:18 #308223 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 81 kz440 need some help
Did you install the pods & cut the exhaust?

A number of knowledgeable folks have stated that the KZ440 needs the stock airbox to run right. Apparently, those CV carbs are difficult to tune w pods.

More
20 Jul 2009 11:38 #308235 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 81 kz440 need some help
Bullseye! You should run the stock airbox and filter in perfect condition. These small twins are very tempermental when it comes to the intake side. I'm not saying Pods won't run on these bikes but you are way better off with the stock airbox.

If your choke is on at all what you are experiencing is completly normal, however with the choke off it should not do that. Those carburators are set up to run very lean from the factory (too lean IMO) so modifications like you have would require rejetting. With pods and an exhaust like that it will be a delicate ballance between enough fuel to get the engine to run and way too much. They are finiky and that s why it is usually best to run the stock setup. I run a mac 2 x 2 exhaust with a stock airbox and I am on the lean side myslef. I have drilled the pilot jet out a few thousandths on another bike with good results.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
21 Jul 2009 07:49 #308405 by RingB21
Replied by RingB21 on topic 81 kz440 need some help
Well the bike is hardtailed so i dont thing the stock setup would work. I also raised my main jets this last week from 90 to 95 but that was before i did the valve job and rebuilt it. I am thinking that maybe it has something to do with my slides sticking and not completely returning to its stock position. SO i am going to tear the carbs back down and see if i can figure out anything inside.....Thanks for all the input..

More
21 Jul 2009 08:57 - 21 Jul 2009 09:04 #308413 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 kz440 need some help
RingB21 wrote:

Well the bike is hardtailed so i dont thing the stock setup would work. I also raised my main jets this last week from 90 to 95 but that was before i did the valve job and rebuilt it. I am thinking that maybe it has something to do with my slides sticking and not completely returning to its stock position. SO i am going to tear the carbs back down and see if i can figure out anything inside.....Thanks for all the input..

If not already done, would check throttle cables for clean smooth operation (not frayed internally), with routing free from kinks or sharp turns. And also assure a little slack exists for the inner cables at the throttle cable adjustment on the carb belcrank when the throttle grip returns to idle position.

And double-check for proper functioning of advance mechanism to assure it's quick complete return to idle position when reducing throttle. Best to use a strobe type timing light and watch the advancer move back and forth while blipping the throttle.

Could possibly be something as simple as adjusting the pilot screws while lowering the idle speed to achieve a better idle mixture for the pilot circuit.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 21 Jul 2009 09:04 by Patton.