flooding out #1 carb after idling for a while..

More
19 Jul 2009 08:19 #308013 by brianrae33
have bs34 carbs and have cleaned them 3 times..but upon starting it will run fine but after a few minutes it flods out the #1 carb..fuel will begin leaking out of the pod filter..have tore apart the float valve assemblies and there was crap in the passage ways..used a can of carb cleaner and air compressor to clean them out...maybe didn't get it as good as i thought??hoping this is the case because if not i'm stumped..

1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2009 10:21 - 19 Jul 2009 10:24 #308029 by Patton
brianrae33 wrote:

have bs34 carbs and have cleaned them 3 times..but upon starting it will run fine but after a few minutes it flods out the #1 carb..fuel will begin leaking out of the pod filter..have tore apart the float valve assemblies and there was crap in the passage ways..used a can of carb cleaner and air compressor to clean them out...maybe didn't get it as good as i thought??hoping this is the case because if not i'm stumped..

Excess fuel getting past float valves for whatever reson (crud between needle point and seat orifice; float stuck, or bent, or improperly fitted -- upside down? -- or fuel level too high; and/or overflow circuits, if fitted, are clogged or overwhelmed; etc.).

If not already done, it's time to sniff-test crankcase oil and physically examine it to rule out fuel invasion into crankcase. If so, would change both oil and filter, and detach fuel line from petcock, and not start engine again until the carbs issues are resolved.

As known, fuel contamination of crankcase oil may lead to di$asterou$ con$equence$.

Would also install new in-line fuel filter before anymore fuel is ever allowed to reach the carbs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Jul 2009 10:24 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.