looking for a few opinions

More
18 Jul 2009 11:07 #307810 by Bicycle Lee
looking for a few opinions was created by Bicycle Lee
So the frame is off at the powder coater... engine is mechanically sound, but I still think I'm having carb issues. I started it up yesterday and it wouldn't run without the choke and had some hesitation on throttle.... sounds like a carb thing to me... any other opinions? I thought MAYBE it could be ignition timing, but not sure. Any time it won't idle properly, it's a carb issue... right?
Secondly... I have a set of vm28's that need a good rebuilding. Who should I send it to? I know Wiredgeorge does great work, but is there anyone who is more affordable who does the same quality work?
Thanks

1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2009 12:03 #307817 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic looking for a few opinions
Bicycle Lee wrote:

So the frame is off at the powder coater... engine is mechanically sound, but I still think I'm having carb issues. I started it up yesterday and it wouldn't run without the choke and had some hesitation on throttle.... sounds like a carb thing to me... any other opinions? I thought MAYBE it could be ignition timing, but not sure. Any time it won't idle properly, it's a carb issue... right?
Secondly... I have a set of vm28's that need a good rebuilding. Who should I send it to? I know Wiredgeorge does great work, but is there anyone who is more affordable who does the same quality work?
Thanks

Would first rule out compression or ignition issues before addressing carbs.

Compression test;

Assure valve clearances to specs;

Verify ignition timing with strobe light;

Visually observe spark quality with plugs removed;

Assure ample clean fuel supply to carbs, as fuel starvation may result from several different reasons including such things as clogged tank cap vent, petcock screen, inline fuel filter, etc.

Check fuel level using the clear tube test.

If problem persists after above, it's likely a problem in the carb pilot circuits.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Jul 2009 12:30 #307820 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic looking for a few opinions
Thanks for the reply. I haven't done a compression test since Igot the motor running, but I am almost positive that the clerances are within spec, since when I assembled the motor after having Larry Cavanaugh replace the valves I checked them and all were good. I also have not hooked up my timing light yet. I will try both of those things and get back to you. In the meantime, can you recommend a good carb guy? WG charges 319 to rebuild 28's, but i there someone of similar skill who charges less and is not so booked up?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
19 Jul 2009 10:11 #308026 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic looking for a few opinions
so I got her running today... my brother had the brilliant idea of checking the air mixture screws first. opened them up a tad and boom, she would purr like a kitten. Makes sense... the last time I got her idling well it was about 65-70 degrees... now it's 100.

1978 KZ1000 police