• junkyard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ride hard
More
17 Jul 2009 23:10 #307726 by junkyard
help.. was created by junkyard
i just got a 1978 kz 650..heres my problem

i am getting fuel in the airbox..what causes this, i am not sure...any help would be great

1978 kawasaki kz 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2009 03:35 - 18 Jul 2009 04:17 #307764 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic help..
junkyard wrote:

i just got a 1978 kz 650..heres my problem

i am getting fuel in the airbox..what causes this, i am not sure...any help would be great

Hello, Keith, and WELCOME to KZR! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

As to fuel in the airbox ---

Likely results from excessive fuel getting past float valve, for whatever reason, and overflow circuit clogged or overwhelmed (some carbs don't have overflow circuits). This problem could exist in one or more of the carbs.

Where overflow circuit is properly functioning, usually the excess fuel inside the floatbowl dumps out underneath the bike from hoses attached to the nipples on bottoms of floatbowls.

Where overflow circuit is not properly functioning (or doesn't exist), the excess fuel may rise on up into the carb throat and flow both ways, forward toward the engine and back toward the airbox.

Fuel collecting in the airbox may drain straight down into the crankcase through the
s-shaped rubber hose connected between the airbox and crankcase vent.

Fuel flowing toward the engine may enter the combustion chamber and drain down past the piston/rings into the crankcase.

Fuel may have gotten into the crankcase and contaminated the oil. Would sniff-test and examine physical condition of oil. Sometimes evidenced by a "rise" in the observed oil level.

If crankcase oil has been diluted with fuel, would not start engine until changing both oil and filter AND correcting the carb issues.

Meanwhile, would detach fuel line from petcock, to assure no more fuel can reach the carbs.

As known, fuel contaminated crankcase oil may result in cata$trophic engine failure. :pinch:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Jul 2009 04:17 by Patton.

• junkyard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ride hard
More
19 Jul 2009 21:34 #308157 by junkyard
Replied by junkyard on topic help..
thank you for the info

1978 kawasaki kz 650