KZ550 Main Jet Size Advice Needed!

More
29 Apr 2015 07:05 #669957 by Powel2600
Replied by Powel2600 on topic KZ550 Main Jet Size Advice Needed!
Loud thank you for your help. This is the first time I have registered a user name, but you seem to pop up on all the threads that have come up during the research I have been doing to restore my 1982 KZ550. I just bored out the jets last night to 37 and 99 and it runs sooo much better. Thanks everyone for the help. Yes I do have pods on.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2015 07:55 #669961 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550 Main Jet Size Advice Needed!
Glad it's running better! Thanks for posting!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Apr 2015 09:07 #669967 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ550 Main Jet Size Advice Needed!

kenball1980 wrote: Thanks to all who posted on this thread!!! It's been a HUGE help...... My question, If I shimmed my needles (I did), Would #37 pilot jets still be accurate? I'm running pods, mac 4into2, shimmed needles, #35 pilots and 98 mains. and it runs great, I'm just scared of running too lean, so I'm considering drilling out to #37's. How much difference do you think the shims (2 small washers) makes? Should I drill them out? once they're drilled I can never get my #35's back, lol.

You can solder the jets and resize them. You'll have to clean up the passages leading to the jet orifice. That's no problem. I got my jet drills after wanting some for years. My set were stolen years ago. Still looking for that "Sweet spot".
Steve

More
29 Apr 2015 12:38 #669985 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550 Main Jet Size Advice Needed!
The problem I found with soldering is that there is no way to keep the solder away from the areas that need to be clear.
You can see on these jets that if the solder was to fill the entire orifice, you would have a hard time getting the inlet and outlet shape to be correct, and more importantly, in the correct place. The length of the actual calibrated orifice affect the flow as much as the diameter does.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/TK22mai...22jetsAndDrills.html

If you have no other option (and to get a smaller pilot, you have no other option with these carbs), then it's what you have to do , but since the stock jets are still available, and normally you would go bigger, it's probably better to just order them.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Apr 2015 21:09 #670056 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ550 Main Jet Size Advice Needed!
You're right. That's where skill comes in. Solder follows the heat. True in brazing, nickle/silver soldering, sweat soldering copper, etc. The brass or copper has to be clean. The solder will stick to it but not the dirty parts.
Steve