Bad petcock-I think

More
13 Mar 2006 05:56 #30574 by gfaherty3
Bad petcock-I think was created by gfaherty3
hi, I am brand new to the forum, went on line looking for a source of parts and info on Kz400s and wasn't surprised to find this website since there are other sites devoted to just about every make and model of bike. so hello from a newbie.

I have a 75 Kz400 twin. less than 5,000 miles on it btw. all last summer the bike leaked gas, it was leaking from the overflow line from the carbs and turning off the petcock wouldn't stop it so I am assuming I have a bad petcock. this weekend I took it apart to check it out and when I put it back together the damn thing leaks. I have a clymer's manual but I figured that I should just replace the petcock if possible rather than trying to rebuild with good gaskets etc. Can anyone help with a source for parts? BTW, the petcock is the weirdest design I have ever seen.

thanks,
greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2006 06:02 #30576 by modest911
Replied by modest911 on topic Bad petcock-I think
www.z1enterprises.com/

The above link is pretty good to find just about anything you need

More
13 Mar 2006 06:02 #30577 by modest911
Replied by modest911 on topic Bad petcock-I think
www.z1enterprises.com/

The above link is pretty good to find just about anything you need

More
13 Mar 2006 06:40 #30589 by georgeha
Replied by georgeha on topic Bad petcock-I think
Greg,

I had a friend (he also got me my '75 400) with connections at a marine engine repair shop cut me a new gasket, the four hole one was a hard one to find online, and the gasket material I got at the auto parts store was too thin.

So, with a new gasket, rebending the circular spring and regreasing it, I was able to rebuild it with minimal leaks. I also put inline fuel filters to replace the old bowl filters.

Of course, you might be able to find a replacement one at Z1.

Thanks,

George

More
13 Mar 2006 08:23 #30621 by gfaherty3
Replied by gfaherty3 on topic Bad petcock-I think
Thanks guys, I think what I want to do is go with the pingle replacement with the adapter. I used pingle petcocks on all my harleys and love their prodcuts. I am less concerned with keeping the bike stock and more interested in a good running solution as this is my daily commuter in NYC when the weather warms.

BTW, I know I am preaching to the choir but I just love my little KZ, I have always had bigger bikes but this bike is like an old truck, it just runs and runs, and such a great city bike, just enough pep to get around traffic but not so much as I feel inclined to get aggressive.

Great community here as well. Very active, really glad to find you guys.

More
13 Mar 2006 08:33 - 03 Dec 2008 19:56 #30625 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 19:56 by JMKZHI.