Float height's don't agree???

More
07 Jul 2009 19:08 #305191 by julio
Float height's don't agree??? was created by julio
My Clymer manual says the 1976 kz 900 VM26SS float height should be 22 mm. If you go to the first page of the filebase on this site for the 1976 KZ900A there is a file called "carburetor" with a scan from some other manual and it lists the float height at 32mm??? Does anyone know which is correct. I put my carbs back together and used the 22mm and it is working but they need some work still but I want to get the float hieght right first.

I think I may try and use the clear tube way of setting it instead but I was just interested in seeing if my manual was way off. Wish I had a factory manual. They are way better. I've got one for my zx7. Much better than Cylmer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2009 15:10 #305492 by wes_scooter
Replied by wes_scooter on topic Float height's don't agree???
factory book says use the clear tube and the adaptor. level is 1/8" below the bowl surface

76' kz900
70' yamaha R5
2006 wr450f

More
08 Jul 2009 18:25 #305521 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Float height's don't agree???
julio wrote:

My Clymer manual says the 1976 kz 900 VM26SS float height should be 22 mm. If you go to the first page of the filebase on this site for the 1976 KZ900A there is a file called "carburetor" with a scan from some other manual and it lists the float height at 32mm??? Does anyone know which is correct. I put my carbs back together and used the 22mm and it is working but they need some work still but I want to get the float hieght right first.

I think I may try and use the clear tube way of setting it instead but I was just interested in seeing if my manual was way off. Wish I had a factory manual. They are way better. I've got one for my zx7. Much better than Cylmer.

wes_scooter is correct. :cheer:

FSM specifies 32mm (31mm~33mm). But the "measure-while-upside-down-on-the-bench" method is notoriously unreliable. However, it might get in the ball park where things are for whatever reason terribly out of shape.

Should imo verify the service floatbowl fuel level by using the clear tube test to assure 1/8" below edge of carb body (.10"~.18" or 2.5mm~4.5mm). Eliminates the guesswork and reveals true actual levels regardless of float bouyancy variances, bent or damaged parts, etc.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD