Yet another Carb problem

More
26 Jun 2009 12:06 #302250 by coydogg
Yet another Carb problem was created by coydogg
Hello everyone I am a new member to this forum but have been reading stuff on it for the last couple weeks and have found a lot of usefull info. I picked up a 78 kz 1000 a couple weeks ago in "needs a little help" condition.

Anyways since I have had it there has been a mis in the number 1. I have replaced all the plugs and ingnition wires and put new caps on. It was still missing so after reading on here I narrowed it down to my Carbs or a Valve adjustment. Yesterday I pulled my Carbs off and cleaned them really good and found a clog in my number 1 that was having the mis fire. I used a guitar string and cleared it out and sprayed the crap out of it. I put them back on my bike today and fired it up. It appears that I fixed the problem, it wasnt missing any more and my pipe heated right up with the other 4. I was all excited and took it out for a spin and as soon as I gassed it my bike started coughing and back firing. If I accelerate slow it runs fine but if my rpms get to high it starts acting up. And before I took the carb off my problem was the opposite. It would backfire and mis if I slowly opened the throttle but once my rpms got up it took off. I also went and had my Carbs synced and points checked and everything was good.

What do you guys think I need to do? Did I do something wrong when I took my carb apart and put it back together (tightening the jets to tight)? Could I adjust the screw on the bottom of the carb? I am stuck right now. This stuff is all new to me also, the only carbs I have ever messed around with were on a dirtbike and chainsaw. Any input would be awesome and thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2009 10:45 #302467 by coydogg
Replied by coydogg on topic Yet another Carb problem
I got it fixed. Thanks for all the help!

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
27 Jun 2009 11:24 #302473 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Yet another Carb problem
What ended up being the problem?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
29 Jun 2009 15:22 #303095 by coydogg
Replied by coydogg on topic Yet another Carb problem
One of the floats got out when I was cleaning it. I just had to pull the carb off and bend the tab back to where it was. I took it out on 3 seperate 3 hour rides this past weekend and it ran great. Still think I need to get a valve adjustment but I will do that later.