Some manner of new carb issue....maybe?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
24 Jun 2009 06:05 - 24 Jun 2009 06:26 #301719 by Strizzzo
Some manner of new carb issue....maybe? was created by Strizzzo
So as I've detailed in a bunch of other posts, my ride just made it back on the road after months of projects. I logged about a thousand+ miles over last weekend without any issues and was pretty stoked.

Went for a ride last night, after it having sat for a couple days. Rode about 20 miles to a dinner and had a fleeting thought that something sounded/felt slightly off, but couldn't pin it down and ducks behind the fairing to listen didn't yield anything concerning.

One the ride back the bike definitely started riding rough...a little jerky and off sounding. Almost like I was missing one cylinder or some something was out of sequence. It got progressively more pronounced as the trip back progressed. Matters weren't helped by the fact that it was now pouring rain and my jacket zipper had finally given up the ghost as I'd gotten on the interstate. But you'll get that.

Anyway, as I said, the experience got more pronounced as the ride wore on. The effect being one of a bike sounding/feeling badly out of tune...throatier and without particularly strong throttle response. It is worth noting, however, that all sounded and felt well when I was idle at a light.

Managed to get home and found, as I was shutting it down, that there appeared to be fuel leaking from the #1 carb. Not from the petcock or line, but, seemingly, out of the cone itself. It was difficult to identify more precisely, as it was raining cats and dogs and pitch black, but it was a pronounced stream that did cease and desist when the bike was shut off.

This leads me to believe the vacuum through the petcock was working well enough, but I haven't been able to diagnoses any further. I had to stow the bike and carry my arse to bed as I had a 4:30am flight.

So I don't know if the carb is at issue itself, or the fuel leak merely an indicator of something else and potentially grave (cylinder issue?). I'm guessing pulling each plug to test that the each cylinder is turning over is probably a good place to start.

Of note:
-1978A2 w 1075 kit
-bike was running like a top previous to this trip last night..I mean, flawless and powerful.
-engine was not broken down in this most recent rebuild as it was rebuilt 18 months back and tested last week with excellent compression.
-Mikuni 26 rebuilt by WG 2 years back and clean as a whistle when I inspected them a few weeks ago.

As always, the wisdom of ya'll in any musings, guidance or heckling is welcome and appreciated.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME
Last edit: 24 Jun 2009 06:26 by Strizzzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 06:22 #301721 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Some manner of new carb issue....maybe?
I would suspect a stuck float. Get some seafoam and give it a try. The gas they sell now does not store for any period of time. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
24 Jun 2009 06:30 #301722 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Some manner of new carb issue....maybe?
Ahhh - the magic seafoam! I've heard tell of this mythical beast but never had any luck laying hands on it in NYC. Now that I've made the move to a seafaring town like Portland, ME, I'm guessing I'll have better luck.

Thanks for the guidance Roy....I thought that last gas station might have been a little suspect...but I was on reserve and in the wilds of pasture-land.

Will report back once I can return home and give it a whirl (this weekend).

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
24 Jun 2009 07:11 #301732 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Some manner of new carb issue....maybe?
Since you mentioned cones I take it you are running pods (please not stacks!). My experience is that pods do not like wind or rain. Some more so than others.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
24 Jun 2009 07:12 #301733 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Some manner of new carb issue....maybe?
Some times when you hit reserve you will suck a little trash in from the tank. It is hard to get the tank totally clean but can be done. If you are running pods in the rain the 1 and 4 cyls suck in water, since they fire from the same coil it is almost like running on 2 cyls instead of 4. Maybe trash has your floats stuck open also.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
06 Jul 2009 06:39 #304703 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Some manner of new carb issue....maybe?
Interestingly, the issue seems to have have largely resolved itself. Fired right back up with no apparent leaks and ran fairly smooth. Couldn't find any SeaFoam, I've had no luck yet in locating it at marine supply spots in the North East, but put in some K100 which seemed to make it run even smoother, if only a touch.

Still a bit of hesitation/jerkiness at the low end of third gear, before i get it up past 3500 rpm, but I'm guessing that may be a jetting issue or some such.

I'm going clean/"recharge" the pods and take a quick peak at the float bowls when i do, but I guess I'll chock this one up to "oddball/deluge related gremlin".

Thanks for the assist.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
06 Jul 2009 12:46 #304785 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Some manner of new carb issue....maybe?
in maine you should be able to find seafoan in napa and autozone stores

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts