Airbox Issues

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
23 Jun 2009 17:10 #301601 by eyeofthestorm
Airbox Issues was created by eyeofthestorm
well first of all the bike is a 78 kz650, its a hardtail bobber, and the airbox is open to the wind, has been for a few years but ive finally had enough of a bike that runs like crap all the time. decided to do pod filters, ive got the new jets and the pods, i dont know what other settings on the carbs to change, or how to tune anything, but thats an issue ill solve when i figure out HOW TO GET THE FRIGGIN AIRBOX OUT without cutting my frame in half or taking out the entire engine!

anyone know how to do this?

and beyond that, anyone experienced tuning these bikes for pods that can give me some pointers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2009 17:58 #301617 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Airbox Issues
let's start with some background info first is the motor stock what carbs ,what pipes,what ignition system what make of filters,you have new jets great what size are those and what is in the carbs now, you see where i'm going with this lot's of variables to considerwhere does it run like crap off idle, mid range, top end,what kind of rpm is the engine pulling in high gear.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
23 Jun 2009 20:31 #301670 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Airbox Issues
+1 on what timebomb said...

If it helps, when I was running Emgo pods on stock (vm24 non-pumper carbs) on my 77 650b1 with a non-baffled MAC 4-1 I was jetted at 120 main, needle on the #4 clip, and 17.5 pilots. When I baffled the pipe (slightly) I had to cut back to 117.5 mains with all other jetting remaining the same.

Carbs have to come off to get the airbox out, and you might find that the cam chain tensioner gets in the way a bit too, but if you wiggle the box just right it'll clear that. There's a bolt holding the box in place on either side of the battery box. Remove that and two L shaped brackets will come out, allowing the box to move. Remove the lid and make sure the ducts are pulled all the way back into the box and you'll find just enough clearance (with the carbs removed) to get it out the front.

Good luck!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
24 Jun 2009 07:55 #301747 by eyeofthestorm
Replied by eyeofthestorm on topic Airbox Issues
thanks guys, got the airbox out, managed to get it out by cutting it in half with a hand saw hahaha. anyways, the pods are XS, and after getting them all on last night, one kick and she fired, and ran like a top! didnt take it for a ride, but im still gonna jet it up. the carbs are mikuni, stock jetting was i think about 102 or 104, cant remember, and im bumping up 25% to 128. it has wide open pipes, no baffle, no muffler, nothin, but im hoping to change it over to some mac 2-1 turnouts. the motor is stock, stock points ignition, and it only runs like crap on the highway. anyways gotta build a new battery box and such today, once thats done and shes buttoned back up, then ill take it for a ride and well see how she behaves.

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
25 Jun 2009 19:36 #302104 by eyeofthestorm
well, changed the jets today, without touching anything else, i have acheived light tan colored plug perfection, runs great, no flat spots at all, pulls like a frieght train and best of all, not a sputter or a cough anywhere. it runs so good, i can hardly beleive it. running just ever so close to the lean side, its a light sand color on the end of the plug, the way i see it, a set of mac 2-1 pipes will have it running just on the rich side of perfect. couldnt be happier, this things never run this good, ever, i am thrilled with the outcome. i even remembered to brace the carbs to keep them from jumping around. pics tomorrow, hopefully by then this massive thunderstorm will have passed.

More
25 Jun 2009 21:26 #302137 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Airbox Issues
Good stuff! Congrats. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
26 Jun 2009 14:37 #302291 by eyeofthestorm
took it out today and took it on a full test ride, when i crack the throttle at 70mph, i get nothing, a lot of pop and sputter and no go. this is strange since in town all the way up the rpm scale it runs perfect, and pulls real hard. could this be needles?