Boiling carbs

More
25 Jun 2009 21:30 - 25 Jun 2009 21:46 #302139 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic Boiling carbs
H2RICK wrote:

why not use some xylene and toluene?

WARNING:
Both xylene and toluene are known carcinogens (cancer causers) as well as highly toxic and highly flammable so extreme care should be used in handling both of these chemicals. Proper protective gear must be worn and suitable ventilation precautions must be taken when using either/both these chemicals.
Additionally, both of these chemicals are classed as hazardous goods AND as VOC's (Volatile Organic Chemicals) and thus are NOT easily available to the average Joe in most jurisdictions.
You've been warned.....;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes Officer/Agent, I know they are all watched, list II chemicals on the DEA list. If you buy a 55 gallon drum of them will likely get a get a knock on your door from some curious FEDS. Gallon jugs are available at home depot or at a paint specialty store such as Parker Paint and Kelly Moore for a much better price (usually $13) in 1 gallon cans. I have yet to be to a hardware store that failed to carry toluene or xylene or even batted an eye when I purchased them along with lye and muratic acid so, you're big brother bit is a little over played. They are readily available to "the average Joe" as long as you don't buy quantities that are going to send off red flags (which you shouldn't be anyway). They are all commonly used solvents and chemicals available in my podunk town at every paint and hardware store. Look for non-polar solvent, buying them should not be a problem. Don't let this clown scare you away from getting what you need, you have every right as an American to buy these products. I'm on several watch lists and have never had a problem. That being said he is absolutely right about them being high in VOC and requiring proper disposal unless you're a total env. douche bag, but can be repeatedly reused. I filter mine though a few coffee filter to remove the chunks and reuse it a few times. They are flammable but so is spray paint, acetone, MEK, (these are polar solvents and not good at disolving greese and oil though) and just about every other decent solvent out there is flammable. Just don't be an idiot and wear goggles and chem gloves (available at Waly world for $3.99. Carb cleaner is nothig but xylene and toluene so it's not like it's some magical underground chemical that is hard to get. I'm picking up a gallon of Toluene tomorrow and using it to soak my forks before rebuilding them, very useful stuff. MEK is great for wiping down prior to paintin as it does not evaporate as fast as Acetone and is polar so leaves no residue after you wash it with water and dry it. OK, My rant is over. smoke em if you got em but not by the solvents. Also keep a lid on them so the fumes don't fill up the air and blow you up. A little common sense and these items are not at all dangerous, please just dispose of them properly and reuse them as much as possible. The earth needs all the help form us it can get.:silly:

I know I just came off like a total dick but I am a bit of a dick so 'Oh well.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2009 21:46 by Yojymbo!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2009 04:55 #302179 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Boiling carbs
As I mentioned before I use these solvents in larger quantities. At this time i'm in possession of about 15 Gal of Xylene and 40 Gal of Toluene amongst hundreds of Gallons of other solvents including a 55 Gal drum of Methyl Ether. I have never had the Feds knocking on my door, because I do not use them for anything illicit. Unless you consider running engines very fast illicit. One thing I know, and that is, that most of these redly available solvents will not dissolve the muck left in an old gas tank. I have tryed many different solvents. I buy most of my stuff right from Sunnyside in large pails or drums. I have mentioned brfore, the solvents which I know will work. Ironically, the solvents that do work have a flammability code of 2 and are safer than both Xylene and Toluene. Please read previous post.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
26 Jun 2009 07:12 #302195 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Boiling carbs
Caution Xylene and Tolulene will cause Dain Dramage if used incorrectly,

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
26 Jun 2009 08:09 #302203 by otakar
Kawickrice wrote:

What kind of, and how much, Dain Dramage will they cause? I only drink them in moderation. Never more than about a pint at a sitting. :S

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
26 Jun 2009 08:23 #302206 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Boiling carbs
otakar wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

What kind of, and how much, Dain Dramage will they cause? I only drink them in moderation. Never more than about a pint at a sitting. :S

HAHAHA :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I used to do concrete coatings in the 80's and have used both extensively. I have been stoned more than I would like to admit from this stuff. A respirator is a good idea in a closed area. I can still taste that stuff when I think about it. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
26 Jun 2009 11:01 #302235 by otakar
Actually Xylene is the bad on. Toluene is used in medicine and not really so dangerous. But Xylene makes the much better Octane booster. Xylene is used in Europe, like we use Ethanol here in the US.

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000

More
26 Jun 2009 17:21 #302325 by keithnra
Replied by keithnra on topic Boiling carbs
nice find!

More
26 Jun 2009 19:00 #302351 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Boiling carbs
otakar wrote:

Actually Xylene is the bad on. Toluene is used in medicine and not really so dangerous. But Xylene makes the much better Octane booster. Xylene is used in Europe, like we use Ethanol here in the US.

and the general public has no clue why cancer is a big killer...naturally occuring cancer without chemical input is rare.....we are killing ourselves...ahhh..just blame it on the smokes.....:laugh: :P

More
28 Jul 2010 14:29 #386623 by keithnra
Replied by keithnra on topic Boiling carbs
ttt