No high RPM when using choke

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
17 Jun 2009 18:28 - 17 Jun 2009 18:33 #300013 by spudbudy
No high RPM when using choke was created by spudbudy
Ok, call me an idiot but I have had these carbs apart so many times its not funny. So here is my setup vm22's pilot jet#1 =50 pilot jet #2=15 main jet 95 needle clip #5. So I just changed out my old paper air filter last one was real bad now it appears that when I go to start the bike cold I get no high RPM it used to goto @2500 now hardly climbs at all. When I first got the bike 28 years ago the RPM used to goto @4000. Not really sure what changed. all of the valves are within spec. timing is spot on carbs are synced idles smooth and runs just fine. I can't believe just changing the air filter is enough @ idle to make the choke circuit work that much better. I understand its now leaner then it was but what could I be missing? I just now re-synced the carbs and got 28cm on morgan carbtune so I know that's not the problem. I'm not sure but I don't recall and seats on the plungers I think they were all brass. Any suggestions would be SUPER!

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jun 2009 18:33 by spudbudy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2009 18:41 #300020 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic No high RPM when using choke
Are you sure the new filter is seated correctly in the airbox? If you somewhat restrict the airbox with your hand do the rpms climb?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2009 19:40 #300049 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic No high RPM when using choke
I haven't tried that next time I start it I will try that suggestion thanks

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2009 15:06 #300331 by spudbudy
tried starting it with a rag covering the opening wouldn't start at all duh. tried the hand didn't work rpm the same. tried to resync the carbs same results not sure what changed but it did.

More
18 Jun 2009 15:46 - 18 Jun 2009 15:46 #300373 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic No high RPM when using choke
When it does run on the choke are any of the cylinders not running? Check the header pipes to see if any are cold. I had a similar issue and one of the cylinders was not running on the choke, turns out the float bowl circuit that feeds the enrichener tube was blocked (float bowl gasket material punchout fell in the hole) so that carb wasn't getting fuel on the choke.

Best of luck finding the problem.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2009 15:46 by HerrDeacon.

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2009 19:13 #300446 by spudbudy
carbs are clean checked the firing using colortune works great. thinking this may have something to do with my sync vacuum level being too high don't know just a thought.

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2009 15:09 #301126 by spudbudy
DUH ! DUMBA** me somehow adjusted the PMS out too far. wasn't paying attention to what I was doing you know hot day COLD beer. anyway its all better now