Help with this bogging

More
14 Mar 2006 19:20 #31188 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic Help with this bogging
fergyfer wrote:

OK, I'm trying to make sense out of all this so bear with me. I remember you talking about the t's leaking. So, you removed the carbs to fix this problem, right?

Above, you mentioned about trying to sync your carbs. Was this after you fixed the leaks?

Last thing you said in your reply to me was "it was starting up and idling fine before you messed with the pilot screws". When did you mess with the pilot screws? After you fixed the leaks or before? And, if it started and idled fine before you messed with the pilot screws, why were you messing with the pilot screws?

Ok, this is how it went. I put the carbs back on after the cleaning and rebuild, hooked the fuel up and noticed they were leaking. I pulled and seperated the carbs to fix the leaks. With that done, I reinstalled them and started it up. It started fine and idled fine, but bogged off idle and throughout the rev range. I read in archived posts about people making adjustments to the to the pilot screws to help remedy the bogging off idle, so I tried messing around with them. As a result, it would no longer start easily, and the bogging got worse no matter where the screws were. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2006 19:32 #31193 by Tower_Monkey1
Replied by Tower_Monkey1 on topic Help with this bogging
Ok, so last riding season, you parked your bike and it was idling and running great, correct ? Then during the off riding season you installed a 4-1 and pods, correct ? Then you started the bike up and it wasent idling and running good, correct ? Then you found a fuel leak and took the carbs off to repair that, correct ? Then it wasent idling or running good, correct ? Then you tried adjusting the air screws with no affect, correct ?

78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

More
15 Mar 2006 13:01 #31387 by Alex_KZ1K
Yes, and I also rejetted during the off season to accomodate the pods and 4-1 exhaust.

More
16 Mar 2006 08:23 #31634 by fergyfer
Replied by fergyfer on topic Help with this bogging
Ok, so last riding season, you parked your bike and it was idling and running great.

Then during the off riding season you installed a 4-1 and pods, and rejetted.

Then you started the bike up and it wasn't idling and running good.

Then you found a fuel leak and took the carbs off to repair that. Then it still wasn't idling or running good. Then you tried adjusting the air screws with no affect.

So, it sounds to me like your 4-1, pods and rejetting caused your problem, if this is the order things were done, and the effect.

More
16 Mar 2006 08:58 - 03 Dec 2008 19:53 #31652 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 19:53 by JMKZHI.

More
16 Mar 2006 11:16 #31719 by Alex_KZ1K
Yeah, that's what I figured... whatever I did to it messed it up. When I tried adjusting the air screws, it did have an affect... it made it much worse and I can't get it back now. :ohmy:

JMKZHI wrote:

It could be the fuel. Are you using the old gas? Maybe try some fresh fuel.

Yep, fresh gas without stabilizer.

Post edited by: alex_kz1k, at: 2006/03/16 14:17

More
16 Mar 2006 14:01 #31747 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Help with this bogging
Alex_KZ1K wrote:

fergyfer wrote:

Alex, the first thing you said was "OK, I fixed the fuel leaks". When did you do this, and was it running good before you fixed the fuel leaks?

How did you fix the fuel leaks...?

Well, when I said that I hadn't actually taken it for a ride yet. The t's that feed the carbs were leaking, so I seperated the carbs and wrapped them in teflon tape. It was starting up and idling fine before I messed with the pilot screws.

Alex,

I don't think teflon tape and gas are a good combination, the tape is really not fuel resistant. Is it possible the tape has degraded into your bowls and gotten into the orifices?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
16 Mar 2006 14:24 #31750 by Alex_KZ1K

OKC_Kent wrote:
Alex,

I don't think teflon tape and gas are a good combination, the tape is really not fuel resistant. Is it possible the tape has degraded into your bowls and gotten into the orifices?

I don't think so, I tested the teflon tape before I used it to make sure it wouldn't come apart, and it held up just fine.

More
17 Mar 2006 06:30 #31912 by rammy
Replied by rammy on topic Help with this bogging
If that were my bike I would remove carbs and double and triple check the pilot systems for the idle/bog problem.How much bigger did you go on the main jets when you rejetted???Were are the needles set at 3rd or 4 slot?? Did you go up in jet size on you pilot jets.Soungs like you tried to change to many things at once.I found last year on my carbs after sitting over the winter there is a small passage in the bottom of the float bowls were the fuel pipe goes into that got plugged blew it out with air and it helpped alot.Go back to the beginning install the original jets and put pilot screws back to stock (about 1 1/2 out)then read the plugs and let them tell you what adjustments to make. Good Luck and be patient

The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

More
17 Mar 2006 07:06 #31917 by fergyfer
Replied by fergyfer on topic Help with this bogging
I agree. I'm certainly an amateur where carbs are involved. I've rebuilt several carbs in my life, but no where near what would make me an expert on it. First time I pulled my 1000 carbs off and cleaned them, I put them back together and started the bike and they bogged down seriously and gas started pouring from under the bike. Turned out I had left the retainers loose that held in the float valves and they, once turned right side up, and installed on the bike, fell loose in the bowls and nothing was stopping the gas flow. So, after cleaning out the airbox, changing the oil and pulling the carbs apart, I was much more conciencious about every detail when putting them back together.

It could be any number of things that weren't put together right or adjusted right, or a clog in a port somewhere.

More
17 Mar 2006 15:10 #32026 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Help with this bogging
Look up, up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, It's the archives! Member jetting

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/03/17 18:11