76 kz 900 pods poping!??

• MANKILLER900
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2009 15:04 #299144 by MANKILLER900
76 kz 900 pods poping!?? was created by MANKILLER900
i just currently restored a 76 kz 900A and i decided to put
after market pods on it and ever since then it has been popping here and there,i put a vance and hines 4 into 1 could it need jetted, also my carbs keep getting dirty and i had my tank cleaned and lined with kreem and all new hoses put on i have to clean them every other week. i also have a small tick to it on the top of the motor is that any thing to worry about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2009 15:52 - 14 Jun 2009 15:56 #299154 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 76 kz 900 pods poping!??
Popping on deceleration may result from a lean pilot circuit (for whatever reason).

Would first try turning each pilot air adjustment screw clockwise 1/8 turn, and test run. If popping persists, turn them another 1/8 turn clockwise, and test run again. If there's no change, reset them in the original positions. During such tests, adjust the thumb idle screw to provide lowest acceptable rpm.

Also install an after-market accessory in-line fuel filter in each fuel line between petcock and carbs. So no fuel whatever may reach the carbs without first passing through the in-line filter.

The '76 oem carbs are very user-friendly, and may not require any jet changes for acceptable performance. Especially if some baffling is retained.

Should first assure all other engine components are up to specs (compression, valve clearances, new plugs, visually confirm spark quality, correct ignition timing, properly functioning advancer, ample clean fuel supply to carbs, service float bowl fuel level, etc.) before further addressing carbs. Because, even perfect carbs can't compensate for deficiencies in these other areas.

Would rely on plug readings after throttle chop to determine whether a larger main jet might be beneficial to high speed performance.

Then, if necessary, consider refurbishing the carbs. Different jets could be installed if needed.

If the airbox was serviceable, removing it was imo ill-advised, for all the usual reasons. :(

The tick might be a slight exhaust gasket leak or valve train noise. Either of which may be safely ignored for the time being.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Jun 2009 15:56 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.