kz550 buttoned back up and won't idle

More
05 Aug 2009 16:21 #311830 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz550 buttoned back up and won't idle
You may want to try disconnecting the throttle cable at the carbs just to be positive the cable isn't hanging up a bit. OR if you have the both a push and pull cable like the KZ650s if you turn the throttle closed tight can you see if the throttle cable pulley is going all the way closed? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2009 17:56 - 05 Aug 2009 17:57 #311855 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz550 buttoned back up and won't idle
If not caused by the things mentioned by 650ed, the inability to idle down low enough might result from failing to have the idle thumb screw in mid-position during the bench synch.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 05 Aug 2009 17:57 by Patton.

• Grebnaws Inc.
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Aug 2009 08:03 #312191 by Grebnaws Inc.
Replied by Grebnaws Inc. on topic kz550 buttoned back up and won't idle
Definitely enough slack in the throttle return. Which is the idle thumb screw? The large one in the center?

I have been trying to find a base setting for the fast idle screw that raises and lowers the slides together. The bike is hard to start cold (at least the 2 days I've tried) but runs very well when warmed up. So far the central idle screw is out of the equation.

I followed the book procedure when I had the carbs off but there may have been some confusion on my part. I don't know if we're using the same terms or referring to the same carbs.