81 CSR 650 h1 carbs Help. Gatineau Canada

More
11 Jun 2009 18:10 #298486 by morhaven
Hello all, i am new to this board and looking for some assistance. i have picked up a nice 81 csr 650.. its been sitting for 6 years.. the carbs need cleaning possibly rebuilding..

i tried cleaning them myslef with carb cleaner..they were very dirty..most of the jets were plugged. i can get it to start now with the choke..and seems to idle fine. but if i take it off the bike stalls. I re-cleaned the carbs 3 times now I must be missing something.

I need some ideas/help.

Also i am in Gatineau/quebec Canada..anyone know where ,if need be, get carb kits (store or online) for this model.

Or a place to would re-build/sync them in my area?

thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Garbone
  • User
  • User is Currently waiting for his bailout check..
More
11 Jun 2009 18:28 #298490 by The Garbone
Replied by The Garbone on topic 81 CSR 650 h1 carbs Help. Gatineau Canada
Check and make sure all your cylinders are actually firing. I had the same situation and had #3 and #4 carb reversed after rebuilding, allowing no fuel into the #4 position, bike would idle and run but very chuggey under load.

The 2 carb bodies look identical but #4 has no gas passage out the right side even though it looks like it does.

Figured it out by idling a minute and touching the pipes, #4 was still cool..

2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n

More
11 Jun 2009 18:51 - 11 Jun 2009 18:53 #298496 by edspring1
Replied by edspring1 on topic 81 CSR 650 h1 carbs Help. Gatineau Canada
Mo
I hope you get it all straightened out, without having to send them out. BUT if you do have to get them rebuilt and without mentioning names......do NOT send them to Mico Texas.
Theres a guy there that will make your life absolutely miserable from beginning to end, and more than likely rip you off one way or another. Your prepayment for his services, your carbs, or maybe both!
I have had my issues with him obviously, but have learned there seem to be tons of others that has had problems with his work also. For whatever reason I have NOT seen anyone other than myself post anything about him thou.
ASK around I have been contacted by many rebuilders NOT from Mico.
Wish you the best with those carbs !!!!
Last edit: 11 Jun 2009 18:53 by edspring1. Reason: mispelled

More
11 Jun 2009 20:09 #298517 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 81 CSR 650 h1 carbs Help. Gatineau Canada
How did you clean them? Does the accelerator pump function correctly? You probably need to do the complete teardown. If so, don't fret, because the VM24s are really easy: the same thing is done four times & most parts only go back one way.

For parts: there may not be any kits available for the 81 650-CSR - not to worry. Z1Enterprises.com sells a bunch of the needed parts: float bowl gaskets, top gaskets, starter plunger caps, accelerator pump rebuild kit, main jets, pilot jets (maybe? but you may not need them anyway) and one or two other things perhaps. They should be able to get the starter plunger o-rings - these are an odd size - I got some from the dealer several years ago. HarborFreight & other places sell a metric nitrile o-ring kit w several sizes that'll work fine on the main-jet/bleeder-pipe, pump nozzle & drain screw.

More
12 Jun 2009 18:26 #298694 by morhaven
Replied by morhaven on topic 81 CSR 650 h1 carbs Help. Gatineau Canada
Thank so much gents, i will investigate further