Stumbling...not entirely sure what's going on

More
07 Jun 2009 23:41 #297226 by ghunt81
I took my bike out today for a ride.

I went about 10 miles and filled up with gas, then rode close to another 40. When I was less than two miles from home, I took off from a stop light and the bike stumbled and seemed to misfire a few times, then was ok (i was using light throttle). It did it two more times after that, and then I was home.

Not entirely sure what happened...plugs and wires are fairly new and the plugs were clean when I pulled them to check.

Do these things even have a fuel filter or is there a screen in the petcock or something? Wondering if I need to check that.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Jun 2009 06:51 #297277 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Stumbling...not entirely sure what's going on
is your battery good???charging ect....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
08 Jun 2009 07:34 #297283 by Grantl
Could be that when you filled up with gas, you flushed some rust from your tank down into your carbs.
I had a lot of rust in my KZ750 tank that clogged my carbs several times--even with an inline filter. I cremed the tank, and now have no more rust in the carbs.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
08 Jun 2009 20:27 #297507 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Stumbling...not entirely sure what's going on
ghunt81 wrote:

I took my bike out today for a ride.

I went about 10 miles and filled up with gas, then rode close to another 40. Shouldn't be filling your body with gas. When I was less than two miles from home, I took off from a stop light and the bike stumbled and seemed to misfire a few times,You have to be on the bike when you leave a stop sighn! then was ok (i was using light throttle). It did it two more times after that,It's gonna stumble cuz it was laying on it' side. and then I was home. Was this a dream?

Not entirely sure what happened...plugs and wires are fairly new and the plugs were clean when I pulled them to check. What kind of mp3 player is that?

Do these things even have a fuel filter or is there a screen in the petcock or something? Wondering if I need to check that.

There is a filter it's for noise not fuel. The screen may or may not have been in the bowl, i'd have to see it. U might need a new battery, but take some nyquil.:woohoo:

More
08 Jun 2009 20:34 #297508 by nads.com
shouldnt be filling up your body with gas. When you take off from a stop sighn you have to be on the bike. Stumble and misfire is from when it fell over. how'd you get home, was this a dream? "plugs and wires seemed ok" What kind of mp3 player is it? They all have noise filters but run on batterys. I think you may have damaged something by putting gas in it. Did you look inside the bowl for a screen? someone might have taken it out.

More
08 Jun 2009 20:37 #297510 by nads.com
Grantl wrote:

Could be that when you filled up with gas, you flushed some rust from your tank down into your carbs.
I had a lot of rust in my KZ750 tank that clogged my carbs several times--even with an inline filter. I cremed the tank, and now have no more rust in the carbs.
Grant.

And they want to legalize that stuff!@:woohoo:

More
09 Jun 2009 00:35 #297620 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Stumbling...not entirely sure what's going on
sounds like a fuel filter to me. there are 2 in the tank attatched to the petcock and someone may have installed one inline as well i know i would if it was mine

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
10 Jun 2009 11:19 #298024 by ghunt81
Replied by ghunt81 on topic Stumbling...not entirely sure what's going on
Nads...seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

Anyway the battery is brand new so I'm fairly certain that's not the issue.

Also the tank doesn't look like it has any rust inside. Maybe I'll see if I can drain the tank and check out the petcock.

There is no inline filter that I can see.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires

More
10 Jun 2009 15:14 #298071 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Stumbling...not entirely sure what's going on
when was the last time you adjusted your valve clearances??

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts