More idle/throttle probs.

More
07 Jun 2009 11:45 #297024 by Sweet Back
More idle/throttle probs. was created by Sweet Back
Alright so I've looked thru the threads and not sure that any of those apply. Here's the gig. My 1996 KZ100p , the idle is eratic and the throttle seems to stick. I've messed with the idle adjustment so much, not sure where normal is. The throttle cable is not catching or bent.

Here's symptoms.
Starts up fine, I adjust the idle to normal, say 1000 rpm.

I go for a ride and after warm, 5 min, it starts to idle high, and the rpm's are slow to drop on deceleration.

So I ajdust the idle lower, will run fine from 7-750 rpms.

If I hit the fwy or run it long, rpm's continue to hang, and no adjustment will handle it and it just idles high.

If I turn the run switch off, then on, while the bike is running, the idle will drop down to normal.

Now I've sprayed the carb boots and air intakes and no change. I'm gonna spray the carbs themselves and see if there is anything. I run the bike pretty regular and have made no exhaust changes or carb changes recently. I am running straight pipes but rejetted long ago.

I'm just wondering if something has fallen out of adjustment i.e. carbs, or what. The only thing I read here somewhere suggested a slide is remaining open.

Thoughts?

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2009 12:34 #297728 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic More idle/throttle probs.
Well, here's another piece of info. It appears I've got oil in the airbox, and on my boots to the carbs. Not sure hIF, or how it relates. Thoughts, anyone...anyone, Bueller?

1996 KZ1000P

More
09 Jun 2009 14:28 #297747 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic More idle/throttle probs.
Perhaps some additional info which might help diagnosis.

Sparkplug readings?

Is the EPA paraphernalia (tubes, hoses, fittings, etc.) still in place? Operates off vacuum and might be source of air leak. Reported symptoms could result from vacuum leak.

Perhaps a carb holder leak. Or vacuum plug leak. Might try propane gas (unlit of course) instead of WD40, carb spray or water, to test for air leak.

Still fitted with the oem CV carbs?

Are pilot air screws accessible? A slightly richer pilot circuit mixture might be helpful, say 1/4 turn at each carb. Or maybe 0-ring on pilot screw might be damaged and thereby allowing outside air to enter where it's not supposed to.

Is strobe-type timing light available to assure correct operation of the advancer (watch it move back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping the throttle). Want to assure it's not sticking and thereby failing to immediately return to idle position at zero throttle.

Would sniff-test crankcase and examine condition of oil to determine whether there has been any fuel intrusion. Thinking fuel contamination might result in additional oil vapor from breather accumulating in airbox.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD