popping and hesitating in high rpm under load

More
03 Jun 2009 20:24 - 03 Jun 2009 20:26 #296179 by zfighter
Hey guys new here...just picked up a beautiful 1974 Z1, it has had some work done to it, has a 4 into 1 exhaust and pod filters and the carbs were jetted along time ago I guess lol...the book says the stock main jet is 112.5 and the jets that are in it are 115..the bike has been sitting for a while and when it was run never ran too long..I have had the carbs off cleaned them out cleaned out the jets..I put new spark plugs in the bike..oh it also has a boyer bransden electronic ignition with aftermarket coils..I guess the bike use to run like a monster..but I took it for her first real ride in 10 years today putted around for a while...then decided to see what she had..started pulling really well but then around 6k-7k started popping and hesitating but then pulled again well to redline...the one thing I did notice was..ok the vacuum nipples on the intake tubes...the ones with the little caps on them..when I pull them off a little bit of gas drips out and there is a little bit of gas in the cap..now to me this doesnt seem normal...but I am new to the carburettor world I have always owned newer sport bikes that were efi. So my thinking is that it is running too rich..I know I need to do a sync I am sure. but my question is if it is getting too much fuel is a simple sync going to fix the problem or am I dealing with something else here. any input would be great
thanks soo much
Garth
--ride safe
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 20:26 by zfighter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2009 20:46 - 03 Jun 2009 20:47 #296186 by zfighter
Replied by zfighter on topic popping and hesitating in high rpm under load
oh and also for got to mention another very annoying thing..it idles at 2k the idle adjust is all the way out and the throttle is hitting the stops...when you start it and it warms up and you pull the choke off it idles perfect around 900 1000, but as soon as you blip the trottle it idles at 2k checked the cables and everything and it returns just fine right back to hitting the stop after bliping it...could this also be caused by too much fuel? or do I mabye need to lude the slides or something ?... just checked the plugs and they are pretty normal looking they are not black
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 20:47 by zfighter.

More
03 Jun 2009 20:54 #296188 by gane
Garth. Just my 2 cents. hiccup in mid-range is IMHO a needle/emulsion tube issue. clean before jetting. fuel in vac. sync tubes is only natural. intake tract lives in a fuel rich area, some disipation will occur. tho ambient temps will usually cause to evaporate off. main jet's sound close, as response sounds ok once your' on them. mid range is controled by needle taper/height and the clearance at top of emulsion tube and the flow inside carbs body and holes of emulsion tube. read plugs. sometimes they'll tell a story. luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
03 Jun 2009 21:02 #296193 by gane
Addenum. crap on needles could cause slides to fail to fall. I ee a carb clean in your' future. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
03 Jun 2009 21:17 #296201 by zfighter
Replied by zfighter on topic popping and hesitating in high rpm under load
thanks for the input guys...I will pull the carbs off tomorrow and go to town on every part with some carb cleaner, I will keep you updated thanks so much
Garth

More
03 Jun 2009 22:30 #296219 by Patton
Be sure to bench-sync with idle thumb screw in mid-way position, which will allow adjustment both ways when later adjusting idle rpm and pilot screws.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD