750 Spectre Problem

• OutsiderZX12R
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2009 16:30 #296095 by OutsiderZX12R
750 Spectre Problem was created by OutsiderZX12R
I have a 750 Spectre that I picked up here a few weeks ago that has sat outside for several years.

It would start up and try to idle on 2 cylinders when I first brought it home. When I started looking into the carburetors I found that the vacuum operated sliders on 1 and 4 were stuck solid. Unable to budge the sliders I purchased another set of carburetors off of Ebay. When I got them I tore them down and gave them a thorough cleaning and installed them on the bike.

Now it will start up and idle on all 4 cylinders, but when I try at all to rev it up it just does not want to rev at all. It acts like it is running out of fuel. I do not have the airbox ducts hooked up to the carburetors at this time as I wanted to make sure all was well with the carbs before I fought those things back in place. Am I looking in the wrong place by looking at the fuel system?

I don't think it would be an electrical (timing) issue, but at this point I am drawing a blank.

Anyways, I am not sure what other information to pass on, so if any one out there has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2009 16:35 #296096 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 750 Spectre Problem
Install the air ducts and air filter, then try it again. If you just have the back of the carbs naked it will run very lean. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Jun 2009 17:28 #296111 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 750 Spectre Problem
650ed wrote:

Install the air ducts and air filter, then try it again. If you just have the back of the carbs naked it will run very lean. Ed

Absolutely
Ditto
Like 650ed says

Chances are that with the airbox hooked up it will run just fine.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust