What's causing a popping sound from tank/petcock?

More
02 Jun 2009 09:02 #295733 by nob_1100
The bike is a 83 1100 Ltd shaft model. Whenever the gas gets down to about 1/3 in the tank, the tank starts making a popping sound when idoling, roughly at the rate of 4 to 5 betas per second. It sounds like the tank is being hit lightly with a hard object from inside. That bike has been making this sound as long as I've owned it (7 years), but I just finished rebuilding the motor and cleaned the carb so I had a wishful thinking that the noise would go away.

If I touch the petcock I can feel the beat. I also see the gas flow in the fuel line pulsating at the same rate. I have never seen (heard) this in the half dozen bikes I've owned although none were as large as 1100. Does anyone experience this? Is there a fix?

83 1100 Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2009 09:13 #295737 by dman3998
SO! your the one thats got him!!!!

you got that Travelocity Gnome in your tank and he is sending Morse code trying to get someones attention to let him out.

you need to to cut a big hole in your tank and let the little guy get out.

If you dont, we will report you to the SPCG, That's the Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Gnomes.:S

Sorry, just came to me. have never heard of a problem like yours. pretty strange.

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
02 Jun 2009 09:32 #295741 by Patton
If fuel tank cap is opened, does same sound continue?

Thinking cap vent might be clogged.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Jun 2009 09:34 #295742 by Patton
Is the bike equipped with a fuel gauge?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Jun 2009 09:56 #295744 by nob_1100
dman3998 wrote:

SO! your the one thats got him!!!!

you got that Travelocity Gnome in your tank and he is sending Morse code trying to get someones attention to let him out.

LOL. Wish it was the gnome; I could simply feed it to my iguana. No wait, he's strictly a vegetarian I forgot!

83 1100 Ltd

More
02 Jun 2009 10:02 #295746 by nob_1100
Patton wrote:

Is the bike equipped with a fuel gauge?

It is. It's working fine.

As for the sound when the tank cap is open, I'll have to check that later. Where's the cap vent? Is that the large rubber ring beneath the cap?

I just want to ask everyone this: do you feel pulsation when you touch your petcock (I have a mild fear that this sentence is taken to mean something else...)

83 1100 Ltd

More
02 Jun 2009 10:50 #295755 by TexasKZ
It could be the petcock itself. If the spring is weak or if there is a small vacuum leak or if you don't hold your mouth just right, the petcock diaphragm can falp back and forth with the rhythm of the vacuum pulse from the carb. A plugged tank ventcould also contribute to the music.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
02 Jun 2009 11:02 #295761 by nob_1100
TexasKZ wrote:

It could be the petcock itself. If the spring is weak or if there is a small vacuum leak or if you don't hold your mouth just right, the petcock diaphragm can falp back and forth with the rhythm of the vacuum pulse from the carb. A plugged tank ventcould also contribute to the music.

Since two of your mentioned the possibility of clogged vent, can you please point me to the exact place where I should check? A replacement tank cap doesn't cost much, but I'd be happier if I can fix it.

I rebuilt the petcock last year (I think), and I assume the rebuild kit came with a new spring.

83 1100 Ltd

More
02 Jun 2009 11:27 - 02 Jun 2009 17:10 #295781 by Patton
First, test by running with cap open or ajar, and if problem persists it's likely not vent related. If noise stops, then time to clear the vent.

As to fuel gauge, was thinking maybe some part on sending unit was possibly bonking against inside of tank.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Jun 2009 17:10 by Patton.

More
02 Jun 2009 16:52 #295841 by Locozuna
4 rolls of duct tape, Take the tank off the bike and make sure it is at the gas level you hear the beating. Now tape that drum..er tank right to the top of the washing machine. Now drop a nice big wet bath towel on one side of the tub. Set it on spin and there ya go. Whatever is in there will either exit the bung at ludicrous speed or be pulverized into silence.

I'm betting on the gas level float.....

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
02 Jun 2009 18:34 #295878 by nob_1100
Patton wrote:

First, test by running with cap open or ajar, and if problem persists it's likely not vent related. If noise stops, then time to clear the vent.

As to fuel gauge, was thinking maybe some part on sending unit was possibly bonking against inside of tank.

I just filled up the tank this morning, so I'll do the test when the level gets lower. Thanks for the explanation.

83 1100 Ltd