Giant 650 15 pilot jet WTF?

More
29 May 2009 20:06 #294934 by Yojymbo!
Giant 650 15 pilot jet WTF? was created by Yojymbo!
I just started rebuilding the carb bank on my '78 650 with some kits from Z1. Great service, my but my problem is this:

The carbs were jetted with a 102.5 main and the pilot jet is marked 15 but has massive holes in it. I mean like 30+ massive. I took them to a couple of shops to try and get 17.5 pilots and they could not tell me why the 15s I pulled out have such huge holes in them other than somebody may have drilled them out, but it does not look like the case, they look like they came that way. Anybody know what's up? The carbs were totaly fucked (hoses hanging everywhere) when I took them off and the bike has been running rich and required to be lightly choked to stay running.
I'm putting 110 mains on it and wanted to go up a pilot size but all the ones I looked at up to 30 were smaller holes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2009 21:48 #294938 by leorider
Replied by leorider on topic Giant 650 15 pilot jet WTF?
They probably were drilled out. Thats the only explanation I can think of. It may have been done on a milling machine and thats why it looks like it came like that. They are very accurate and do a good job of drilling clean.

78 KZ650B

More
29 May 2009 22:09 #294940 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Giant 650 15 pilot jet WTF?
Yojymbo! wrote:

I just started rebuilding the carb bank on my '78 650 with some kits from Z1. Great service, my but my problem is this:

The carbs were jetted with a 102.5 main and the pilot jet is marked 15 but has massive holes in it. I mean like 30+ massive.

I had a set of 40 pilots in my 750 that were drilled, probably by the dealer mechanic where I bought it new. I remember the bike ran horrible when it was new, the carbs ran way too lean with the 40 jets (45 was standard for all models except kalifornia). The mechanic told me it would be illegal for them to install bigger jets. I guess they punched the ones I had so they still read "40" but were closer to 47.5 in actual diameter.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 May 2009 01:40 #294975 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic Giant 650 15 pilot jet WTF?
after comparing them on a light board I realized that the originals had beveled edges that have tarnished and it makes the holes look much bigger than they are, simple optical illusion fooled every bike shop in town.
So, I need to get a 17.5 jet kit for my 110 mains and all should be well. Thanks.