idle problem

• Davestradamus
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2009 07:33 - 26 May 2009 07:35 #294132 by Davestradamus
idle problem was created by Davestradamus
i am having similar problems to telefunkin, who posted a thread about idle speed issues. rather than strap a bomb to my chest in a hijack attempt, i figured i would ask my own questions. i have just got my 77 kz650b to start using a couple shots of carb cleaner in the airbox. it is having trouble starting on its own and will start warm but likes the carb cleaner to start cold.

when cold it idles at 2000 rpm till warm. when warm it drops to 1200 or so and dies. could it be my idle adjustment screws?

before i mess with those, i would like to use some carb cleaner to test for leaks. do i just spray it on the boots and carbs with the engine running? what am i looking for? changes in rpm?

i am having trouble with embedding my video.

thank you!
-david
Last edit: 26 May 2009 07:35 by Davestradamus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2009 07:44 #294134 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic idle problem
Check for leaks first. And you're right, just get it running and spray carb cleaner all around the carb holders. Make sure you spray every side/angle of them so a leak doesn't hide from you. If there's a leak you'll get a drastic change in the idle.

Check that first and if you don't have a leak proceed on to making sure your idle circuit in your carbs is clean.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• Davestradamus
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2009 08:33 - 26 May 2009 08:35 #294139 by Davestradamus
Replied by Davestradamus on topic idle problem
i will check for leaks later today, but i am beginning to think my petcock might be suspect as well. there is a hose on the back of the petcock that is plugged. i was told it is a vacuum hose.

upon farther inspection i have found:
when switched "res" i get a small drip of fuel every few seconds.
when switched to "pri" one hose gushes fuel.
when switched to "on" the other gushes fuel.
sound normal?

i can get the bike to rev with small twists of the throttle. but if i give it a good nudge the engine dies.
Last edit: 26 May 2009 08:35 by Davestradamus.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
26 May 2009 09:12 #294142 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic idle problem
Davestradamus wrote:

i will check for leaks later today, but i am beginning to think my petcock might be suspect as well. there is a hose on the back of the petcock that is plugged. i was told it is a vacuum hose.

upon farther inspection i have found:
when switched to "on" the other gushes fuel.
sound normal?

Sounds like you have a vacuum petcock that has the vacuum feature disabled. It may have some issues, but it is not what is causing your problem.

i can get the bike to rev with small twists of the throttle. but if i give it a good nudge the engine dies.

The problems you are describing sound like blocked pilot jets to me.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
26 May 2009 09:33 #294145 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic idle problem
Davestradamus wrote:

...petcock might be suspect...hose on the back...is plugged. i was told it is a vacuum hose...
when switched to "on" the other gushes fuel....

A properly functioning vacuum operated petcock requires vacuum to flow any fuel in the ON or RES position. Only PRI position is supposed to flow fuel without vacuum.

The small nipple is for attaching vacuum tube from the carb. Fuel outlet nipples are larger.

Am thinking something's wrong inside the petcock, and that rebuilding it with a kit from Z1E could restore proper function. But perhaps disassembly and good cleaning might rehabilitate it without needing a rebuild kit. Would carefully examine the diaphram, fuel port gasket and o-rings for any visible damage.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Davestradamus
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2009 09:38 - 26 May 2009 09:39 #294146 by Davestradamus
i just started the bike, and did the leak test. it seemed to idle fine. but i had a petcock breakthrough.

i decided to test it when running on all petcock settings. the on and res position died when twisted the throttle hard.
but in prime it started and rev'd fine.

the idle was about 2100 hot which seems high. but it might be ready for a test around the block. any ideas?

i plan on ordering a rebuild kit today to restore proper function to the fuel system.
Last edit: 26 May 2009 09:39 by Davestradamus.

• spudbudy
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
26 May 2009 17:25 #294212 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic idle problem
Hi I have a 78 650b mine idles just fine @950-1050 rpm. check your plugs what do they look like ? Which idle mixture type do you have pilot or air screws? what size pilot jets do you have? makes a big difference in the pilot screw settings

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

• Davestradamus
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2009 20:18 #294270 by Davestradamus
the plugs are new and aren't white nor are they black. They smell fine. I think the petcock should be fixed but it runs pretty well on prime. I have yet to take it out due to insurance and the lack of a proper license plate. I am going to give it a cold start tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for all your help!

David.

More
26 May 2009 20:30 #294276 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic idle problem
That's idling way too high. Spudbudy's is idling correctly 950 - 1050RPM. I'm thinking you may need to clean the carbs if it won't idle below 2100RPM. Also, check the timing advance to make sure it is lubed and moves freely. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 May 2009 20:33 - 27 May 2009 07:07 #294278 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic idle problem
Davestradamus wrote:

the plugs are new and aren't white nor are they black. They smell fine. I think the petcock should be fixed but it runs pretty well on prime. I have yet to take it out due to insurance and the lack of a proper license plate. I am going to give it a cold start tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for all your help!

David.

While bike is parked, would use whichever petcock position that prevents fuel flow. This is not the PRI position which always allows fuel to flow.

This should avoid possibility of a leaking floatvalve allowing excess fuel into floatbowls which is then supposed to escape from the overflows through tubes routed over the swingarm to underneath the bike.

However, a worse problem can be where there's so much excess fuel getting past the floatvalve into the floatbowl, that it swamps the overflow circuit (for whatever reason), whereby fuel rises up into the carb throat and makes its way into the crankcase.

Good Luck!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 May 2009 07:07 by Patton.

• Davestradamus
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2009 06:36 #294334 by Davestradamus
shite! i left the fuel switch on last night after giving it a cold start. it didnt start without a little shot of cleaner in the box. (i need to figure out her cold start). it was idling a bit high but responded to throttle just fine.

but of course i left the petcock flowing fuel! i knew better than to do that, i just forgot. i have since written the words cut fuel on a yellow piece of tape to put next to the key. jeez

so there it sat all night flooding away.

now when i start it, it idles about 1000 or less but will not respond to changes in throttle. it dies.

maybe i should air it out for a while.

thoughts? i know, i am an idiot so save those....

More
27 May 2009 06:49 #294336 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic idle problem
it has a cold starting problem because your pilot circuits are partally plugged please remove the carb's clean them properly use spray carb cleaner in all the jets and passages and then blow compressed air through them until you get good air flow through every passage and jet in the carbs and also the bowl's. then amazingly most if not all your carb related problems will majicly disappear. the buy you self a good manually operated pet cock and remeber to shut it of every time you come back from a ride and your fuel system problems will be a thing of the past.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE