650 rebuild/Jet or Carb Upgrade?

More
23 May 2009 11:08 #293491 by Yojymbo!
650 rebuild/Jet or Carb Upgrade? was created by Yojymbo!
I have a 78 650B and need to rebuild and rejet the carbs for header and pod filters and because one of the gaskets has started to weep fuel. It's about $100 for the rebuild kits so I was wondering what other options there were as far as getting an entirely differnt carb bank from a diffent bike for better performace. Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2009 14:24 #293518 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic 650 rebuild/Jet or Carb Upgrade?
Bumping up to vm26's (stock are vm24's) is a HUGE performance gain. I've heard from others that vm28's run nicely on our 650s as well. Some of the kz900/kz1000 ran vm26, some ran vm28. You can also use vm26's from Suzuki GS750 (same spacing) although there are slight differences between the Suzi carbs and the Kawi carbs that will lead to a bit of a tuning challenge if you go that route.
If you opt to run bigger carbs you'll have to get new carb holders to accept the larger diameter outlet of the carbs, plus you'll likely spend close to $300 for a set of rebuilt and ready to bolt up carbs, over $100 for a set that needs rebuilt (which would also need the $100 worth of rebuild kits). SO, if you're looking for the best for your budget, you're better of rebuilding what's on the bike now. If you want to pick up some performance gain and spend between $300 and $400 by the time you're all said and done go for the bigger carbs.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
23 May 2009 16:07 #293533 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic 650 rebuild/Jet or Carb Upgrade?
Thanks, that's what I figured. I just ordered a (4) rebuild kit from Z1 Ent. I want to get it back on the road ASAP, we don't get that much sunshine outside summer in Western WA.