fluttering vacum gauges

More
21 May 2009 18:30 - 21 May 2009 18:40 #293168 by JR
Replied by JR on topic fluttering vacum gauges
I have the same CV34 carbs.
The air screws should be 2 turns out from lightly seated.

These carbs do have some very tiny passageways which if obstructed may require gentle poking with a very fine wire or I have used a nylon bristle or 50lb breaking strain fishing line.

Looking at your photograph we are looking at the engine side of the carbs so from left to right in the photo they would be numbered 4, 3, 2, 1. I see you have a bridging hose from the vacuum port on #4 going to #1. In the middle it looks like a T connector and I wonder if this is left open (no no) or connects with something else ? We never got this emissions stuff up here so I just have vacuum caps on these ports. In the photo is that a vacuum cap on #3 ? Am I right in thinking the hose on carb #2 is the vacuuum line which connects to the vacuum port on the petcock ? I have vacuum caps on 4, 3 an 1 and a vacuum line from 2 to the petcock.

And like ed said it might be worthwhile looking at the ignition. if 1 and 4 are not firing the pipes will get warm just from the proximity to 3 and 3 and could be mistaken for just poor running. Have you verified spark ? by removing the plugs and with plug seated in the plug cap and metal part of plug resting on the cylinder head hit the starter and see if you have spark ?

the exhaust pipe on a properly firing cyclinder will burn your hand within seconds of starting - spray bottle or spit test :)

Good luck :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 21 May 2009 18:40 by JR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• burkmanofgod
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ750H2
More
21 May 2009 19:14 #293179 by burkmanofgod
Replied by burkmanofgod on topic fluttering vacum gauges
Yes the vacum lines do go to the T which connects to the vacum lines on the engine. The one on #3 is capped off and the one on #2 goes to the petcock.

It sounds like the 2&3 were the ones running right and the 1&4 are the ones running rich. Now I have to start rethinking what the problem is. also the dang brass screw I removed doesn't want to go back in and I don't want to force it.

I will check the ignition and timing. (will a regular timing light for a car work?) When I checked the plugs for fire they all sparked but I am not sure how strong the sparks are supposed to be.

Sure didn't want to remove the carbs again but I will tomarrow. Hopfully for the last time.

Since the carbs are running rich instead of lean do you think it would hurt anything if I took the girl for a ride around the block before I pull the carbs?

1981 Kawasaki 750 LTD
2006 Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit

More
21 May 2009 19:30 - 21 May 2009 19:31 #293181 by JR
Replied by JR on topic fluttering vacum gauges
From the description of the problem I was wondering if 1 and 4 were even firing never mind rich or lean. If not firing on 2 cylinders and you run around the block then you should notice no power. To check rich or lean remove the plugs and check colour. Dark plug = rich and white = lean.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 21 May 2009 19:31 by JR.

More
21 May 2009 19:30 #293182 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic fluttering vacum gauges
A regular timing light should work.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)