KZ1100 Mikuni CV Carbs

• Willopotomas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2009 02:07 #292543 by Willopotomas
KZ1100 Mikuni CV Carbs was created by Willopotomas
Hi all.

As some of you may remember, I was having trouble with my poor running KZ1100. The problem in the end turned out to be failed spark plugs.

But. There is a new problem..

I'm not sure what the model number for the carbs are, just that they're Mikuni CV items and are a pain in the backside. Taking the top cap off the far left carb, there was water inside (condensation?), but none in the air box or float bowl. A little more investigating, I took the cap off the 2nd left carb and it was dry.. and then the far right, which was also dry. Any ideas? The last time the bike was used it was put on the centre stand, so that rules out rain etc collecting due to it being on the side stand.

The bike is still running poor and lower rev range throttle response is hit and miss. Sometimes it's fine, other times I have to give it a 'blip' to get things going. I dont know much about these carbs.. Just that new diaphragms are horrendously expensive. (£33UK for 1)

An online manual or tips on how to set them up would be brilliant. B)

1983 KZ1100 LTD Shaft

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 04:39 #292575 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic KZ1100 Mikuni CV Carbs
When you say in the upper chamber, are you talking, on top of the diaphragm where the spring is or below the diaphragm. If it is on top, pull the slide out and check for tares in the diaphragm. That would be a big problem and explain the poor running. If it is below the diaphragm, than that can happen because that area is exposed to the outside threw a vent hole. It sounds to me that these carbs should be taken off and rebuilt.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• Willopotomas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2009 05:06 #292581 by Willopotomas
Replied by Willopotomas on topic KZ1100 Mikuni CV Carbs
Thanks for your promt reply. Yes, on top where the spring is. The others were all ok. I didnt notice any obvious tears, but i'll have another look when i get home later on today.

Are rebuild kits available for these? Also, would changing one diaphragm be ok, or would i have to change all four?

1983 KZ1100 LTD Shaft

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

More
19 May 2009 19:41 #292791 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic KZ1100 Mikuni CV Carbs
Changing just one is fine. change only if it is torn. Check if it was put in correctly, if it was not pinched. The only way water could get to the top is threw the vacuum hole at the lower portion of the slide, or if the top cover has a hole in it or if the edge of the diaphragm was pinched between the cover and the body. I would rule out the lower vacuum port. So this leaves two options if the diaphragm is intact.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• Willopotomas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2009 00:43 #292818 by Willopotomas
Replied by Willopotomas on topic KZ1100 Mikuni CV Carbs
Had a poke around when I got home from work yesterday. Took the cap off to inspect the diaphragm properly and couldn't see any tears or holes. After that i decided to squirt some carb cleaner through the inlet's via the air box. When I started the bike, water was spraying in as were exhaust gasses. Right, so now i knew what the problem was. The emissions system! Took all the pipe work out and pluged the vac pipes up, bridged the two caps on the cam cover and gave it a go. WOW! What a differnce. Came to work on it this morning and it's like a totally differnt bike. Lower rev range is 100% better than it takes less effort to get to the top end. B):woohoo:

Thanks for your help on this. I'm used to working on old Triumphs, so this emissions rubbish is new to me. Being in England, we dont get tested for it, so can afford to ditch it all. B)

1983 KZ1100 LTD Shaft

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 May 2009 06:07 #293042 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic KZ1100 Mikuni CV Carbs
Not sure about the Mikuni's, but I know on the Bing CV carbs that the BMW's run they don't recommend using a spray carb cleaner as it can deteriorate the diaphram.

Glad to hear it's running better! I was over in the motherland in the beginning of April. Saw a lot of bikes, but sadly no KZ's...