Am I on the right track?

• KZ_Joe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Check us out - governorsfootguard.com
More
18 May 2009 06:59 #292374 by KZ_Joe
Am I on the right track? was created by KZ_Joe
O.k., this is prob gonna be long. Please bear with me...

I have a 1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR. When I got it, it did not run and had a fuel leak. I rebuilt the BS34 (I think)carbs with a kit from K1. 2 and 3 were frozen in place allowing part of my fuel leak. The other half was from the petcock. I got rid of the vacuum p.c. and replaced it with a manual and adapter plate. I now have an issue with running.

Here is where I stand. The bike starts and idles on full choke. The minute I push the choke in 1 click, the bike dies. Also, if I try to give it gas, the bike dies. Now, before we try to diagnose this, or I tear down the carbs again... I have found some ideas from other posts that have given me insight.

I am going to check my gas cap to see if it runs while slightly open.

Also, since I have eliminated the vacuum p.c., I now have a stray vacuum line on #2. I was going to cap it but when I put my finger over it, the bike quits.

Is there anything i am missing? I am mechanically inclined, just not with my bike.

Home of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2009 07:31 #292385 by thehumble1
Replied by thehumble1 on topic Am I on the right track?
It sounds like it isn't getting air. I'm not sure about why, but if the bike dies when you cut off the vacuum tube, it's definitely a lack of air that's doing it right? Because the throttle opens the airway, allowing for more airflow, when you hit the throttle, there isn't enough air getting past the jets to pull sufficient gas. If you throttle it while it's choked, it might die too.

My idea would be to definitely cap the vacuum tube because you aren't going to run it with the tube lose, so get it running with the tube capped. It also does sound like fuel starvation, but I didn't want to jump on that first. Maybe drain your carb bowls a bit to see if they are filling properly.

I bet something isn't put back together correctly or isn't aligned properly on reinstall. Good luck.

More
18 May 2009 09:45 #292409 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Am I on the right track?
Is this happening after the engine is fully warmed up?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• KZ_Joe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2009 10:32 #292416 by KZ_Joe
Replied by KZ_Joe on topic Am I on the right track?
650ed wrote:

Is this happening after the engine is fully warmed up?

All the time. It will idle forever... dies if I change anything

• KZ_Joe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2009 12:36 #293348 by KZ_Joe
Replied by KZ_Joe on topic Am I on the right track?
O.k. guys, just wanted to give you an update. I noticed that I had a broken hose clamp on my carb. boot on the engine side. I replaced all of the clamps and it helped. The bike idles stronger and it will actually accelerate with the choke on. The bike sounds pretty good and strong. Slightly broken and a little popping, but I expect that because of how long it has been sitting. If it still does it after getting it running better, I'll look into it.

However, it still quits when I kick the choke in after running it. Am I looking for another air leak? I pulled the plugs and aside from being a little black, they look pretty new. Nothing is worn at all, electrodes are still square on the edges.

Any ideas?