the boots

More
17 May 2009 20:18 #292219 by chevyhead
the boots was created by chevyhead
hey just wondering if i could use some high temp rtv and put only on the outside of my boots between the carbs and the head to try and fill in the small cracks??:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2009 20:45 #292231 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic the boots
You'd be better off ordering new ones from Z1 enterprises. Trying to seal the many small cracks/tears in the boots will be almost impossible as the more they are moved the more cracks develop.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 May 2009 21:16 - 17 May 2009 21:18 #292245 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic the boots
chevyhead wrote:

hey just wondering if i could use some high temp rtv and put only on the outside of my boots between the carbs and the head to try and fill in the small cracks??:blink:

The rubbers between the carbs and the heads are not boots, the boots are between the carb and the airbox.

The rubbers that mount the carbs to the heads are usually called "carb holders" by some, I call them intake manifolds.

Regardless, the problem with using RTV on either rubber part is that gas dissolves it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 May 2009 21:18 by bountyhunter.

More
18 May 2009 04:55 #292349 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic the boots
There's another problem with that approach. When the carb holders on my KZ650 started leaking air they had no cracks at all on the rubber tube part; I had kept them in good shape with a rubber lubricant. The air was leaking in between the mating surfaces on carb holders and the cylinder head. These cracks were REALLY small, (caused by many years of engine heat) and could not be detected with the carb holders in place except by spraying carb cleaner around them with the engine idling low (the engine then would quit running). If your carb holders show cracks on the rubber tubes they very likely have small cracks on the mating surfaces too. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 May 2009 08:54 - 19 May 2009 08:55 #292627 by chevyhead
Replied by chevyhead on topic the boots
ok thanks for the info guys... does anyone on here have a set of used ones by chance that are still good that they would be willing to part with???? new ones to me are just plane outragous!!!! that being said i do know that new ones are about 80 bucks before shipping so......... thanks chevyhead
Last edit: 19 May 2009 08:55 by chevyhead.