Looking to learn

More
09 May 2009 18:35 #289519 by gane
Looking to learn was created by gane
Gents. I would like to better understand Kaw's (for lack of better term) AIR system. It seems, that there is an exhaust passage aft of head gasket to valve cover. which pairs cyls 1-2 and 3-4 within valve cover. which meet with paired flapper valves.logic indicates these open with exhaust pulses. The vented side of these chambers usually go to a vacumn uperated (GULP) valve which allows fresh air access from airbox to these flappers under accelleration(high vacumn at carb intake throats) again by guess, this fresh air would promote burning of unspent exaust. thus cleaning end product. If my surmises are correct, wouldn't the easiest/way to dis-able system be to simply to issure flapper valves can not open? The vacumn which operate'ed the Gulp valve (usually tee'd lines from #1&4 carbs)should be blocked from atmosphere, But I'm unsure as to whether optimum would be to block at carb bodies, or to "T" the three vacumn sourses (1-2-4 together and send to vacumn petcock as a gang. Yamaha's YICS system tied all 4 cyls intake vac's together as a single passage inside a head passage, and many current FI bikes join intake vacumns externally. Like I said, I'm eager to learn, and welcome views/info.G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2009 20:50 #289617 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Looking to learn
A few years ago I scanned a page from an old magazine that was a Kawasaki ad that described the air injection system. I know it is on the computer at work but I can't find it here at home.

As I understand the Kawasaki system as it was sold in 1979 is that the vacuum switch shuts off the flow of fresh air to the exhaust system under deceleration (heavy vacuum when the slides are closed). One of the signs of a failing vacuum switch is popping from the exhaust on deceleration. The Kawasaki system is quite simple.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
11 May 2009 08:33 #290179 by N0NB
Here is the ad that I referred to:

Nate

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
Attachments:

More
11 May 2009 17:08 #290335 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Looking to learn
Nonb, Thanks, I guess I booted another one. appreciate being set straight. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
11 May 2009 17:35 #290344 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Looking to learn
Huh, I always thought that those passages were crankcase breathers like a PCV on a car. I'm glad I know better now :)

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
11 May 2009 19:50 #290398 by N0NB
The breather on the 650/750 engines is in the middle of the transmission just in front of the airbox. A 90 degree rubber tube connects it to a nipple on the airbox. When a conversion is done to pods, most usually install a small filter on that pipe of the breather unit.

Actually Kawasaki did provide an elegant solution to cleaning up emission with the air injection system as it did the job with minimal weight and parts, as least as minimal as could probably be expected. I'm unfamiliar with how the other manufacturers tackled the problem, but by using this system on the 650s, they were able to utilize accelerator pumps and, IMO, actually gained performance while meeting the emissions laws.

When the vacuum switch goes bad, the easy way to "fix" the problem is to run a hose between the two ports in the valve cover, remove the switch, plug the hole in the airbox and remove and plug the nipples on the intake boots where the switch lines connected.

Nate

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)

More
12 May 2009 06:33 #290487 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Looking to learn
Detailed view... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments: