individual K&N filters for 1984 KZ-700?

More
04 May 2009 13:38 - 04 May 2009 13:39 #287871 by bchoward
individual K&N filters for 1984 KZ-700? was created by bchoward
I just bought an old 1984 KZ-700 that's in pretty good shape overall. I took it to the mechanic though, just to get everything checked out, and he mentioned the airfilter was trashed. Instead of getting a replacement or OEM filter, he recommended ripping out the whole air-box and installing individual K&N filters for each of the four carbs. He thought it would be easier to maintain, and provide better performance, since the boots to the existing airfilter box are all rotted anyways.

I don't care that much about performance - I just want the bike to be ridable, last long, and be safe.

I did a little looking around on the K&N site, and I found what looks like a single drop-in replacement filter for my bike, but the only thing that looks like individual filters I've seen are these....
tinyurl.com/dedpth

I've also read that radically changing your air filters can get you in trouble with your carb if your exhaust system can't keep up... The previous owner of the bike installed a 4-1 Kerker exhaust on it though.

So I'd love to hear your thoughts - is it worth getting the individual filters? If so, how do I figure out which ones fit? Or should I just get the K&N drop-in replacement?
Last edit: 04 May 2009 13:39 by bchoward.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2009 13:50 #287879 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic individual K&N filters for 1984 KZ-700?
Get new boots from Z1Enterprizes and a stock or K&N drop in filter. Keep the airbox. The Japs know what they were doing when they made the airbox. With the new boots getting the carbs on and off are a breeze if you do this

GLuck

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
04 May 2009 13:52 #287880 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic individual K&N filters for 1984 KZ-700?
bchoward wrote:

I just bought an old 1984 KZ-700 that's in pretty good shape overall. I took it to the mechanic though, just to get everything checked out, and he mentioned the airfilter was trashed. Instead of getting a replacement or OEM filter, he recommended ripping out the whole air-box and installing individual K&N filters for each of the four carbs. He thought it would be easier to maintain, and provide better performance, since the boots to the existing airfilter box are all rotted anyways.

I don't care that much about performance - I just want the bike to be ridable, last long, and be safe.

I did a little looking around on the K&N site, and I found what looks like a single drop-in replacement filter for my bike, but the only thing that looks like individual filters I've seen are these....
tinyurl.com/dedpth

I've also read that radically changing your air filters can get you in trouble with your carb if your exhaust system can't keep up... The previous owner of the bike installed a 4-1 Kerker exhaust on it though.

So I'd love to hear your thoughts - is it worth getting the individual filters? If so, how do I figure out which ones fit? Or should I just get the K&N drop-in replacement?

Would urge retaining airbox and obtaing new filter and airbox hoses from Z1E.

Click here > Airbox Hoses

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 May 2009 13:58 - 04 May 2009 13:59 #287881 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic individual K&N filters for 1984 KZ-700?
Click here for > K&N Air Filter from Z1E

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 May 2009 13:59 by Patton.

More
04 May 2009 14:13 #287889 by JR
I have the individual K&Ns - they were on the bike when I got it - and although I hav'nt had any issues I have often toyed with the idea of finding an airbox and going back to original.
I think the suggestions above are the best way to go and will certainly save you the bother or maybe the anguish :laugh: of having to rejet the carbs.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
04 May 2009 16:09 #287933 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic individual K&N filters for 1984 KZ-700?
bchoward wrote: "Instead of getting a replacement or OEM filter, he recommended ripping out the whole air-box and installing individual K&N filters for each of the four carbs. He thought it would be easier to maintain, and provide better performance, since the boots to the existing airfilter box are all rotted anyways."

I would buy a new stock type filter or the single drop-in K&N, new inlet ducts (rubber hoses), and find a new mechanic! I appears you don't do your own maintenance so the mechanic is going to make a career out of maintaining your bike.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 May 2009 19:22 #288005 by bchoward
Replied by bchoward on topic individual K&N filters for 1984 KZ-700?
Sounds like the consensus is to keep the box, so I will.

I plan to do most of the routine maintenance myself (like putting in the new filter and boots), but I just bought the bike and I wanted a better mechanic than me to take a look to see if there were any major problems I might not know enough to spot.

Thanks for the advice.