still have carb problems

More
03 May 2009 06:11 #287416 by toad
still have carb problems was created by toad
any ideas will help thanks,
my kz900 has 26mm carbs I use 117.5 mains and 17.5 pilots and runs extremely well accept in first gear when I crank the throttle over real fast ( especially when I pop up the front wheel) it will bog down like crazy also I notice some gas coming out the back of my 4-1 pipe I took the pods off to try and still no change.I cleaned my carbs a couple months ago,could it be dirty again? could my floats be acting up? I dont no what to do , any tips would be great.

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2009 06:27 #287417 by atlas74
Replied by atlas74 on topic still have carb problems
What has changed? Did it run fine after cleaning the carbs last time? Has it sat with fuel in the carbs? Something has has changed since the last time it ran well. Start there, if its sat with fuel in it over the winter you'll need to clean the carbs again etc so on and so forth.

If its got t*ts or tires sooner or later your gonna have problems!

More
03 May 2009 07:03 #287426 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic still have carb problems
toad wrote:

any ideas will help thanks,
my kz900 has 26mm carbs I use 117.5 mains and 17.5 pilots and runs extremely well accept in first gear when I crank the throttle over real fast ( especially when I pop up the front wheel) it will bog down like crazy also I notice some gas coming out the back of my 4-1 pipe I took the pods off to try and still no change.I cleaned my carbs a couple months ago,could it be dirty again? could my floats be acting up? I dont no what to do , any tips would be great.

What are results from current sparkplug readings?
Any less bog down with brand new sparkplugs?
What is visually observed spark quality on brand new plugs?
Is battery good and fully charged?

While symptoms do cast some suspicion toward an excessively rich fuel mixture, the bog down issue could result from a non-carb issue. If not already done, would assure valve clearances and ignition timing are set to specs, being sure the auto advance isn't sticking, and that floatbowl fuel level is set correctly.

Hoping an inline fuel filter is fitted to protect freshly cleaned carbs against incoming grit or crud.

Gas from exhaust is worrisome. Would examine and sniff-test crankcase oil to assure no fuel contamination.

Here's carb info provided by Z1E:
26mm (VM26SS) KZ900A4 & A5
Main Jet 115
Air Jet 1.0
Needle Jet O-6
Jet Needle 5DL31-3 (last number is the clip position)
Throttle valve (slide) 1.5mm cutaway
Pilot Jet 17.5
Air Screw setting 1 3/8 turns out

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 May 2009 07:34 #287435 by toad
Replied by toad on topic still have carb problems
basically I did the wg coil mod, new plugs , adjusted shims too spec, new tail exhaust, main jets ,cleaned carbs,pods and it ran really well for about a week, and then it just started too bog whenever I would really get on her for a wheelie as soon as the bike came down it would bog, I was thinking I have grit in my carb because I did not put on a fuel filter anyway thanks for your input
I'll keep tinkering with it,I wish I had a set of 29's.

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear